Chapter 019

Chapter 019

I had to wait for Sophie to drop everything and come take care of my sisters, I told my mum to go ahead and get to the hospital and that I'd be there soon. James came along with Sophie, it took them 10 minutes, not long but it felt like an eternity. James drove me to the hospital and walked with me to the ICU, I wanted to run, to fucking fly if it got me to him quicker. As I turned the corner of the ICU a woman smiled at me, then I heard it. Her screams.

I ran and as I turned the corner I saw the receptionist and a man in casual clothing holding my mother back as she screamed and kicked and scratched. I looked at where she was looking, there were doctors huddled around a body, saying words I didn't understand, numbers. "Mum?" I whisper.

"Baby, his heart stopped." She cried, her body falling limp. James caught her and she cried into him and I stood as the scene played out in front of me. My brother's heart has stopped? 

I didn't cry. I did break though. 

I started to talk to myself, walking closer to his bed side. "I should die before you! I'm older remember, I need to look out for you."

A nurse in a purple tunic saw me and screamed at them to get me away from the body. James was pulling me back, "He's not ready!" I scream... then I cried. 

My voice broke, "He's not ready."

I was so inside of my own head, in my own crumbling world, that I didn't see Dickson enter the ICU. I closed my eyes and prayed for sleep. 

Then I heard angels in the form of beeps.