Prologue

Ordo ab chao
(out of chaos, comes order)
one of the oldest mottos of Craft Freemasonry

Tom Riddle was almost bubbling with excitement. Finally! Months of searching through dusty tomes from the Restricted Section of Hogwarts Library, and from the family libraries of those Slytherins, who called themselves his friends (though Tom would argue about it anytime, saying, that they were merely the "acquaintances with conveniences"). More months of researching for the suitable spells, which could help him get inside. And, at last, patient waiting for the right time with less witnesses. So, when Halloween came with almost every resident of the castle celebrating in the Great Hall, Tom was just shy of rubbing his hands with glee, getting ready to cast the complex string of spells, which will, if his luck permit it, break him through the protection wards guarding the famous library of Salazar Slytherin. Just couple more hours and Tom will be able to see with his own eyes the books and artifacts, which were thoroughly chosen and hidden by one of the greatest wizards of all times.

At this moment Tom stood in the center of the Chamber of Secrets, with his wand pointed to the wall behind the statue of Slytherin, where the Library should be located. He finished his preparations and focused all of his magic for the final blow through the wards. Couple of heartbeats later he released the magic, feeling it lashing out like the invisible spring-loaded fist, colliding with the wall of Slytherin's magic and blasting it to pieces together with the stone wall behind the statue.

Tom dodged the stray shards of stone, flying in all directions from the impact of his magical blow, and reached out with his magic to the wards, gleefully noticing, that they disappeared, as did the wall, leaving a huge inaccurate hole in its place. Through the opening Tom could see another room, wast and gloomy, with shelves along the walls, filled with books, several pedestals, tables and stands with various objects, several armchairs and even the sofa of some sort. The room was mostly dark with a few magical torches lit on the walls and one or two magical lanterns, standing on tables and on the floor near the chairs.

Raising his wand and ready for any accidents, Tom stepped into the room in anticipation, not noticing the buzz of the residual magic, still present around him after the blast.

~*~*~*~

Just moments ago Harry was at Number Four, Privet Drive, weeding the garden under the setting sun. This Summer was unusually hot, and humid, forcing Harry to forgo his shirt entirely and to work only in his jeans, of which he'd made something like shorts, cutting them just under his knees. He took off his shoes, too, as it was so hot, not minding nasty glares from his Aunt or some of the neighbors passing by on their way from work.

He suddenly was yanked from the place by the invisible force with the feeling not unlike the one during an Apparition or while using a Portkey.

And after about a minute he landed in all too familiar corridor, hitting his toe on some stone under his bare feet. He cursed loudly at that and looked around himself trying to comprehend, how he'd managed to get to Hogwarts. If he was not mistaken, the Apparition to and from the castle was absolutely impossible. Not to mention the fact, that he hadn't had his lessons and Apparating license, yet, and didn't know a thing about this magical way of transportation, let alone, how to do it, even in theory!

"Such language, tsk-tsk," he heard behind him a berating voice. This voice, although familiar, sounded somewhat odd. Harry quickly turned around and met face to face with Dumbledore.

Harry blinked furiously, processing the view in front of him: this was without a mistake Professor Dumbledore, but -

The man standing there sported short auburn beard and neatly combed hair, his attire was more ordinary, than it was customary for Dumbledore that Harry knew – no ridiculous patterns or bright colors, just plain gray and brown robes. But the main difference, which almost made Harry swear again, was his age – this Dumbledore was seemingly much younger then the man Harry had known.