Only a dream?

Once upon a time, there was a dream that was going to disappear, because nobody didn't dream about it anymore. It has been trying to survive for many years, but it got sick to be patient. This dream is ready to do anything to stay alive.

I woke up on by bed and I looked from my phone what time is it. It was the 4th of January and time was 11.15. I live in a small apartment building that is in the need of renovation. Everything looked normal, even the moisture damage was on my room's ceiling - until I heard a voice from the rooftop. I got up from my bed and looked myself in the mirror. I walked in the stairwell. My parents went to work early in the morning, so they weren't at home. I walked up to the old stairs and I reached over to the door leading to the roof. It opened what was weird, because it should have been locked. I walked on the rooftop and cold wind blew my face. I tried to find where the voice came from, but there's wasn't anything.

I turned around with a sigh and walked to the door. I tried to open it, but no effect - it was locked. My fingers started to be cold because of the steel door handle. I tried over again to get the damn door open - still no effect. I heard a voice behind of me and I turned around to look at it. There was standing a little girl wearing a white dress and her face was covered by her black hair. I asked what she was doing on the rooftop, but she just tilted her head. Then she raised her hand and pointed me while saying: "Don't you see it? I do." I turned around and saw a giant black person, until I died. I heard I was on the rooftop over hours and I died because of hypothermia.

The next day I woke up from how cold I felt. I looked around the place I was in, it was my room, just as expected. Though... I felt like something was badly off. I took my phone to see the time, only to view an awfully familiar sight. 4th of January, 11:15. Wasn't that the date I saw in my dream? Wait...

What did I dream of again?

I brushed the thought off and started to prepare for the day. I was supposed to go out with my friend, who soon came to pick me up to my house. We left to scroll in the city, and she again came up with the most absurd ideas. "Hey, what do you say if we go check out one house which is said to be haunted? Last weekend some people from our school disappeared into it." What a great idea indeed, I answered with an obviously sarcastic tone which she didn't notice. Hey, maybe it won't be that bad after all so might give it a shot. Ghosts aren't real, even a kid would know that.

We arrived at the house and everything seemed perfectly normal, for an abandoned house, that is. "I'll go check the upstairs, scream if you see a spider or something." She winked at me with an excited smile and rushed to the second floor. I sighed to myself and searched the first floor a bit. All the furniture had been taken away, which was logical. I kept walking around, until I heard a scream and followed up with something breaking and falling.

Thump thump thump thump...

Then it was silent. I walked to the direction of the sounds and saw something I didn't ever think I'd see. It was my friend's body laying on the end of the stairs, her limbs twisted into unnatural directions with bones peeking through her bloody skin. I clasped my hands over my mouth, backing away in pure terror. I quickly ran back to the main door to get out of that place, but it was locked. I banged into it, no avail. When I turned around, the room had changed. It was much smaller, like a closet, with only one way forward – the stairs up. I turned around again and even the door was gone. I guess there's only one thing to do then. I took a deep breath in, I had to stay brave. I walked up to the stairs, each step creaking as if the planks would break up at any moment. And as if I jinxed it, one of them broke underneath me. My leg fell through and the sharp-edged of the wood scratched wounds into me.

I was lost, not knowing what to do. I didn't have the strength to pull myself up and there was nothing I could do when being in there. The room had turned back to the original form, with my stuck on the stairs and my friend's corpse at the other end. Suddenly, a black-haired girl came in front of me, on the second floor. "Don't you see it? I do." She pointed down, where my friend's corpse should be. But something... something about those words seemed so familiar. A black presence appeared behind me, and I took my last breath.

I opened my eyes with a gasp, jumping up from my bed. I was in my room, waking up to the 4th day of January for the third time. I must be going crazy. I fell back to my bed and looked at the ceiling. Everything seemed so normal... and yet still so wrong. My eyes wandered at the moisture damage in that one corner and I started to think, when did it even appear there? When did I start to have these dreams? Could this be just a dream as well? I got up from the bed and walked closer to see the dark spot better. The more I looked at it, the more I felt like I should turn away. Still, it had that sucking feeling in it, as if it was absorbing all the light. I picked up a pen from my desk and poked the black spot with it, and it instantly turned into dust, disappearing. I sensed that there was something behind me – rather, someone. I turned around and saw a girl long, black hair which hid her face.

"Don't you see it? I do."

She said to me. Did she perhaps mean the moisture damage? It was the only odd thing in here, excluding her presence and the fact that this one day keeps repeating itself. "I do, I see now what you mean." Those were the only words which I got out of my throat, I felt for some reason awfully intimidated. "Liar." She pulled her hair out of her face, revealing... my face? Indeed, I saw just now. I woke up from that hellish nightmare, this time for real.

Once upon a time, there was a dream that was going to disappear, because nobody didn't dream about it anymore. This dream has desperately for years tried to survive its best, but its patience had ended. It tainted itself. It wasn't anymore just a dream. It started to dream of itself, about its own life. Even if it did everything it could, it still disappeared because there just weren't any more dreamers of it. Because I was that dream. I was the only one who remembered me, I was the only living dream. Humans have started to create their own dreams. My friend who died before me, she was known as Wonderland and the last person who dreamt of her, was Lisa who stopped dreaming of her after growing up. Everyone else, humans stopped dreaming of them a long time ago. Now I truly saw it; you can't escape from death. On this day, 4th of January, me, the last dream, disappeared for eternity.