Finn Hoyt [3/7]

Finn Hoyt was an observer—a human magnifying glass.  He chose one person and studied them until he understood who they really were under the skin.  His conversations happened in his mind long before he spoke and his words were never repeated twice.  He was twenty-four and the youngest of three brothers.  His older brother, Thomas, was a lawyer who worked at the same firm Jim Austen did, and his second brother, Jeremy, was getting his doctorate in psychology. 

Finn refused to walk in their shadows even though he was equally talented and very capable to be a doctor, lawyer, or psychologist.  But much to the disappointment of his mother, who was a captain in the navy, he found a job in loading and unloading cargo on the Rhode Island docks.  His father left them for another man, which made Finn rebel even more.  He quit his job and turned to gambling.  He quickly became a smart player; earning his way up to being one of the best youngest player in New York.  It was through poker Rory King met him.  Rory, at first, detested of Finn’s rogue behavior and refused to let him play against him at dinner parties.  But after a “test” game, where Finn beat Rory’s full house with a straight flush, he was allowed VIP access to all games Rory either played in or hosted.

 It was flattering to be invited to a world so foreign to Finn.  People paid more attention to him.  He wasn’t sure why; he hated the spotlight and knew when people were being fake with him.  But he supposed that when he was dressed in a suit and tie, had his hair cut close and gelled slightly, people took him seriously.  He liked mingling with the wealthier folk because he knew they looked down on his class but couldn’t insult him when he was wearing their brand of clothing and ordering at the same bar they ordered from.  Finn liked irritating them and popping their glamorous bubbles. 

Some of the women accepted him, but he knew the only reason why was because they wanted to be his mistress.  But he never played by their social rules.  He knew their cunning ways and didn’t buy into the fakery; he only came to play the game.  Many of the older players underestimated Finn because of his boyish features, soft voice, and quiet demeanor, but when they pitted against him in a long game of Texas Hold ‘Em, Finn proved to be best at the table.  Indeed, Finn liked the temporary praise and claps on the back and free cigarettes, but deep down, he didn’t feel accepted.  He still felt like the overlooked sibling in the family.

After his father had left them, Finn felt like he owed his mother more attention.  He knew she was hurt, but they had barely built up an understanding.  He wanted to find a way to apologize to her for his runaway attitude, but there seemed to be a burned bridge between them.  Thomas and Jeremy had always been there for his mother—always providing her with support.  Finn knew it was his fault for abandoning his mother.  And even though she had told him that she still loved him, Finn knew they had lost connection.  And because of that, Finn envied his brothers.  He felt as if it was their fault he had drifted away; if they had chosen humbler jobs, he wouldn’t have turned away and disappointed his mother.

But what ate him up inside the most was that it was probably too late to start over with his mother.  It seemed impossible for her to love him like she loved Thomas and Jeremy.  So instead of making an effort to love and be vulnerable, he staked a bitter heart and continued to gamble.  And with each win, he pretended he won against his brothers.