Soulmates

The sun above was warm, shining down on the green earth. The clouds passed by once in awhile, blocking the sun for a few moments before it came back, shining just as bright as before. The wind blew the leaves on the trees lightly and shook off any pollen carried by the wind the day before. Birds chirped to each other from tree to tree, creating a beautiful song that mixed with the rustling leaves.

Under those trees, a red fox adventured through the woods. Her steps light and silent as she rushed to find a place to stay once the sun went down. She came to a large opening that had gravestones scattered everywhere. One of them had humans gathered around it.

The female fox stared in front of her as the humans looked between each other with tears in their eyes. One of the men opened a strange shiny container and poured it in front of the grave. The fox had no clue what it was, but a strange liquid came pouring out of it. The fox felt a pang in her heart and let her curiosity get the better of her. Why was she feeling like this? She had no idea. She hid behind a bush and waited for what felt like hours. The sun was about to go down.

The fox came out of hiding once the coast was clear and trotted up to the large stone. She sniffed the grass where the liquid was poured and let out a hiss of disgust. She sat down in front of the stone, ignoring the liquid and looking at the words with her head cocked to the side. She felt something. Something pulling her towards the stone. It was strange, this feeling.

The stone was old, the words starting to fade. The fox listened to the strange feeling and rubbed up against the stone, letting out a happy grumble. It almost sounded like a purr. Where was this feeling coming from and why did she love it so much?

The fox had never felt so happy and content in her whole life. She climbed up onto the stone and rolled onto her back. She looked like she had a smile on her face as she got comfortable. Usually, she looked for shelter where she was hidden and could sleep, but just being near this grave made her feel safe.

She slept like that through the night and in the morning, she awoke and went back into the woods. Hiding as humans came and went to other graves. Once it had become dark, she went back to the grave and slept on top of it again. This went on for days. Which turned into weeks.

Until, one day, the fox awoke and looked off in the distance. Her heart stopped as another fox stared at her. She stood and lept off of the gravestone. She walked towards the other fox cautiously. The same feeling she had gotten with the gravestone returned, but about ten times stronger. She stopped when she was only a tail length away from the other fox.

She felt her ears go back and tears stinging at her eyes as she tackled the other fox happily. The other male fox licked her cheek and wrestled around with her slightly before he ended up pinning her down. He licked her cheek happily and she looked up at him with her big eyes sparkling. He looked down at her with the same look before climbing off her and rushing ahead. He looked back as she stood and chased after him into the woods.

She had waited there for him. Even if she didn't understand it at first, she understood now. It was meant to be.