The Calling

I've always felt sadness.  Loss.  Like I'm mourning the death of someone, but I don't know who.  Who would I mourn?  I have no one.

What little I know about myself I've had to piece together from the people of Kakariko Village.  My name is Sheik.  I'm the last survivor of the Sheikah tribe.  I'm a protector for the people of Kakariko.  Years ago I helped them recover from a devastating fire and tried to seal away a dark spirit in their well.  I traveled much, playing music on my harp and offering guidance.

They tell me I tried to help the hero Link.

Maybe that's why I am the way I am.  Because I picked the losing side, and now I'm just trying to stay alive.  Link was killed.  The six sages they say he was trying to revive are all gone.  Dead or banished.  Everyone is too afraid to speak out against Ganon, the King.  Speaking out means execution.

Whether I tried to help Link or not is debatable.  I remember nothing before waking up in the Kakariko Graveyard at the foot of the royal family tombstone.  I was dressed in the traditional Sheikah garb, so I assumed that much of my heritage is true.  But as for the rest, I have only a slip of paper.  What it said only made everything more confusing.

My final gift as your protector is survival.  The less you know, the safer you are.  You'll never see me again, my destruction is near.

As a young adult, there should have been some remnants of my past.  I must have been somebody's daughter.  Maybe I had siblings.  Friends. But I was as much a mystery to myself as everyone else.  At least I could distract myself with my work.

I was on duty at the moment.  As the unspoken protector of Kakariko Village, it was up to me to defend them from the dangers beyond.  Bongo Bongo, the dark spirit of the well, had already been given control of Kakariko by King Ganon.  But I was a thorn in his disembodied ghostly hands.

At the moment I stood at the foot of village ruins.  A wall of the graveyard had collapsed, revealing the ruins beyond.  People in Kakariko feared that the village was haunted.  They said that they heard sobbing there and saw ghosts wandering the streets.

I was there to put their fears to rest.

A battered sign leaned against one of the buildings, proclaiming the village name.  Akkala.  I'd never heard of it before.  Maybe it was Kakariko's sister village before the walls were put up.  But why had they been put up in the first place?

I heard soft music playing and glanced up.  It was a bouncing tune, one that suggested happier times, but for some reason now it sounded haunting.  I followed the music, picking my way carefully over the rubble.

A little girl was perched on the lip of a well in the town center.  She was playing her ocarina, the source of the music.  I'd never seen anyone dressed in a green tunic like she was, or with green hair like hers.  She certainly didn't look like a ghost.  Of course, I was basing my ghost knowledge off of Bongo Bongo.  He was a mostly invisible spirit that was made up of a mess of a face and two blue disembodied hands.

"Who are you?" I called.  The girl stopped playing her ocarina.  She smiled up at me in a sad sort of way and dissolved into green sparkles.  The sparkles danced away, darting down one of the side streets.  I followed the green light.

I arrived just in time to see the light float into a crumbling temple.  A man was standing at the door.  He was wearing a green tunic and hat, with sandy blond hair and piercing blue eyes.

"What's going on here?" I asked him as I approached.  He glanced at me and entered the temple.

I followed.

The inside of the temple was dark.  The man was standing inside, along with the girl from before.  They watched as I came closer.

"I'm sorry we failed you," the girl said sadly.

"I don't know who you are," I told her, unsure of where this was going. Maybe they were poes, wandering spirits. But didn't poes look, I don't know, inhuman?

"It was Impa's wish we leave you, but that isn't possible.  Not if Hyrule is to survive," she continued.

"You must take the medallions," the man said, gesturing towards at table.  I crossed to it, keeping an eye on the man and girl as I did.

The table had six medallions.  Each one was a different color.  I counted then quickly.  Yellow, green, red, blue, purple, and orange.  Each one was inscribed with a different symbol.

"Find the new sages," the man said.  "Give them the medallions.  The power will awaken within them."

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I'm Saria, this is Link," the girl said.  "The others wanted to apologize to you in person, but Ganon has already destroyed them.  Find the new sages.  Succeed where we failed.  Bring forth the light once again."

The little girl gasped and dissolved into green sparkles once again.  But this time the sparkles went dark one by one.  Link grimaced, a pained look in his eye.

"I'm sorry I failed you," he said.  "And I'm sorry I wasn't your prince."

His form became blurry and transparent until he was gone.  I stared at the spot where they had vanished.

Saria and Link?  Could that have been Link, the chosen hero who had gone to fight Ganon and free the land?  But then who was Saria?  And what was that about Link being my prince?

I picked up the medallions one by one and put them in my pockets.  I didn't know what they were for or how they were supposed to help the new sages, but I did know one thing: I had been given a chance to dethrone Ganon, and I was going to take it.