[06]

At early dawn, Albert woke up to Georges shaking his shoulder rather vigorously. His mood dampened immediately but he did not make his annoyance apparent upon noticing the grave expression on his friend's face. The latter, giving no other explanation, merely murmured about wanting to talk to him before spinning on his heels, leaving.

Wanting to fully regain consciousness, the man slapped his cheeks lightly before getting up and retracing Georges' steps. As he entered the littered storage room, the other escapees were waiting for him, sitting on the floor in a large circle.

Perplexed, Albert inquired, "What is this? Why does this feel like an intervention?"

"My friend," Georges began, "Your story about the two children whom you rescued troubled us and we discussed what would be wise for us to do."

"I do not understand."

"They cannot come with us." Maria, the mother of Claude, deadpanned. "If they are... special, then the Nazis will surely look for them. We cannot afford to be chased like that, not with five children to look after."

Albert's mouth became dry, his words at loss to him. He understood, he truly did, but suggesting to forsake Angelika and Erik seemed hypocritical. They were children who needed protection as well.

"How can you, a mother, so blatantly suggest abandoning them?" Albert bit back. "Are they not children to your eyes?"

"I value my son and our lives more than theirs," the offended woman shouted, "We've fought so hard to escape. I refuse to get killed, or brought back to the camp, just because of those two. I've promised Claude a better life; he deserves more and better."

"Perhaps, they've grown on you, Albert," Georges spoke softly, "But they are a liability to us."

"Then go on your merry little way," Albert spat venomously, "I shall go with them."

"But-"

"I am thoroughly disappointed in each of you."

With that jab, the tall man left to get the troublesome pair. Georges called out for him to return but he paid no mind and kept true to his words, leaving with a sleepy telepath and a confused metal bender.

As the resident telepath, Angelika knew the truth regarding the early departure but she kept it to herself. Erik's distrustful nature would only worsen if he found out he was right about people's selfish nature. She certainly didn't need that.

This time, she walked on her own. A few branches caught her foot twice and thrice but she straightened her posture right after each tumble. Erik noticed this but he failed to reprimand her. The journey was endless and already tiresome enough.

Despite the sweet rest they got, the trio felt drained after each step they took. The temperature had dropped drastically compared to the previous day and their ragged uniform offered little to no coverage. Angelika asked to take a break quite often and Erik pointed out in a snippy tone that they needed to walk as far as they could before sunset.

"Where will we rest tonight?" Angelika wondered, exhaling a long breath.

"Somewhere flat, dry and reasonably far from the river." Albert answered, breaking a few branches to clear the path for the children.

At the mention of the river, the telepath realised how dry her throat was. Frowning, her head snapped right and left, searching for a source of water. She sighed through her nostrils, trees provided excellent shades and many other things but water wasn't one of them.

Erik felt uncomfortable when a pair of eyes attempted to drill a hole on the side of his head. His chatty companion chose to stare at him, to earn his complete attention.