Chapter 31 - Present

Amelia stood in front of the mirror. Everyone in the castle seemed to think that she couldn't see herself, but she could. She could see how her hair looked smooth and gleaming for the first time in years. She recognized the form of her eyebrows again and when she closed her eyes she could smell the pleasant smell of her fresh washed dress.

"You've grown five years older and five years prettier." Thomas' nurse whispered while she stood behind Amelia. "If only Thomas could see you right now..."

Amelia had to fight her lips curling up into a smile.

Thomas could see her. He could see her and his emotions were all over the place. He had never loved her less, not even when her dress and hair smelled that badly that a bath couldn't do miracles anymore. His heart however did skip a few beats in his chest now and he let his glance wander over her tender body.

The red dress she was wearing covered up that she was nothing but flesh and bones. Her high collar hid her cleavage, damaged by the lack of food and the loss of weight. Her wide skirt twirled around her legs, covering her skinny and white legs. The layer of make up gave her tanned cheeks a natural glow and the first thing everyone would notice were her eyes.

"This is who you're supposed to be." Thomas whispered, his voice trembling a little. If he had been in his human form, he maybe would have cried a tear. One single tear because he had missed seeing her as the Queen she was supposed to be right now.

"At least you now know what you're fighting for." Amelia turned around and swallowed before she spoke out loud. "Is the King..." She almost choked on the last word, but she tried to hide it as well as she could. "Is the King ready to meet me?" She looked up when a strong fist knocked on the door.

"I think he is." The nurse nodded and she walked towards the door, opening it carefully.

Amelia recognized Ward without even having to look a second time.

The look in his eyes was different, harder, just like the rest of his face. His jawline was a little sharper and his muscles a little more trained. His hair was also a little longer and his lips were curled up into a grin. "Our majesty is expecting you." He raised his eyebrows a little and he didn't seem to be ashamed of checking her out. His eyes rested on her hidden cleavage and Amelia felt a little uncomfortable. If his eyes could have undressed her, she would have been naked by now.

"Of course, sir." Amelia lifted her skirt up a little and bowed her head and knees slightly.

"You shouldn't be bowing for anyone. Especially not for a guard serving this tyrant." Thomas sounded harsh, cold and the hatred he felt spread through Amelia's body.

"Maybe he doesn't know that he has a choice." Amelia straightened her back again and carefully she walked towards the door. She was happy with the curse right now, happy that Ward at least couldn't offer her his arm, that she wouldn't have to accept it. But each and every step felt heavy. She walked through the corridors and she caught the people staring at her. She probably knew more of them than she could remember and she didn't know if she had to be happy that they had survived all those years or if she should be angry that they were now working for a man sitting on a throne that wasn't even his.

"Never look him in the eye. Make sure to bow as deep as you can. Always say thank you or please and call him my King and your Majesty after every sentence."

Amelia raised her eyebrows. Even though she wasn't born a princess, she had lived here long enough to know the rules. She knew how to behave. She had never really followed the rules, but if it was to save her own skin, Thomas' life and the entire Kingdom, she was willing to do whatever it took.

"He has guests. If you try anything, we all have the instructions to kill you." Ward stood still in front of the doors leading to the dining room.

"I am here to ask the King to release me from the curse that's plaguing me. I'm not here to start a war I can't win." Amelia tensed her muscles and lifted her chin. She took a deep breath and while the doors were opened she closed her eyes. She didn't want to start crying, she didn't want the memories to surprise her, to overwhelm her. She wanted to focus on what she was going to do. She was going to meet the tyrant and she was going to figure out how she could kill him.

"Be careful..." Thomas disappeared to the background, knowing that his feelings could distract her, could get her harmed.

"Always." Amelia walked slowly through the dining room.

Long tables were put down in front of the windows. The light of the moon and the light of a thousand candles gave the room a weird glow. People were eating, drinking, laughing, but everyone who noticed her stopped whatever he or she was doing. Jaws dropped, eyes widened.

Amelia avoided all glances. She bent her head and stared at her own feet, at the red shoes on the marble floor. She was clearly not used to wearing shoes anymore. Her feet were already red and swollen, but she ignored the pain. She had work to do. She had important work to do.

"May I present you, Amelia Bloom." The tyrant stood up and walked down the few stairs between his table and the rest of the room. He stood still a couple of inches away from the young princess. His lips were curled up into a mocking smile. His eyes were probably staring at her like Ward had done, but Amelia didn't dare to look up.

Instead she bent her knees until her nose almost touched the floor.

"Former fiancee of Thomas Hargreave, traitor of the realm." The tyrant took the time to laugh, making sure that everyone else in the room would laugh along. "Cursed by the man she called the love of her life." He allowed the audience to cheer and applaud once more. "Surviving on singing and dancing, because it's the only thing she can." He threw his head in his neck and placed his hands on his stomach.

Amelia wanted to say so many things. She wanted to scream. She wanted to yell. She wanted to protest. But she focussed on not trembling, on not shaking, on not crying, on not showing in any way that she didn't need his help, that she was basically nothing but a spy.

"I'd love to hear your story, Amelia Bloom." He started circling around her, constantly keeping a safe distance. He had heard all the stories. Everyone in this Kingdom had heard. "But before you tell us your story..." He spoke slowly and he stood still behind her. "Sing and dance for us."

People stood up from their chairs, clearly drunk from the huge amount of wine, even though their stomachs were filled with flesh, bread and vegetables Amelia hadn't smelled, seen, let alone eaten in years.

"It would be my pleasure, your majesty." Once again Amelia bent her knees and head and she waited until the tyrant had walked back to his private table, away from the others.