Tiny dancer

So, I've wanted to write this story for a really long time, but I was never really sure how. I'm not a ballet dancer so I can only assume what happens behind the scenes, but I hope I pictured it well enough for it to be realistic. This is a phanfiction, so if you're not into that, this story is probably not for you, but there are thousands of other stories on this website, so go give another author some love if that's the case. Keep in mind that this is fiction and I'm in no way saying any of the things in this book (such as sexualities, preferences, and opinions) are true. Votes and comments are always, always appreciated. Hope you enjoy reading xx

Music filled the room as he stretched out his legs, he quickly stood up and looked into the mirror, with a stern look on his face, he started his choreography, his mindset changed with each note, he became one with the music, his pain was long forgotten. He darted through the room, doing pirouette after pirouette, small mistake, he went over to the speaker and started again. Perfection to the point of obsession, that was Dan's life. He danced around 40 hours a week, if not more. He had to be the best, every other spot was not good enough. He had to make himself proud. He panted as the music stopped. Sweat trickled down his forehead and back. He had to get this right. Ballet school was a bitch and he had to make the final cut, he had to get an A on his exam, he had to audition, he had to get a role, no matter what, no matter who, nothing could stop him.

He could feel eyes boring into his back as he restarted his routine for the third time, used to it by now. Usually it were younger students, they loved watching the older performers do their own routines. Sometimes a really young one would come up to him and compliment him or ask him for advice, those were Dan's favourite moments, when he could feel he inspired someone.

With that in mind he did his entire dance, he couldn't disappoint the people watching. He let the soft notes indulge him, take him to a place far away from here. A stage, with him as the main act. As he began another battement développé, the music behind him came to a halt.

Dan looked at the stereo, confusion in his eyes, till he saw his teacher, staring with a fond look in her eyes. "Good morning Daniel". She greeted him.

"Good morning miss", he said, finally glancing at the clock. His first lesson would start in 15 minutes. He got a little too caught up this time. "I'll get going then", he said as he started exiting the room.

A bunch of 6th graders were waiting outside, undoubtedly also watched him perform. They stared with wide eyes as he passed them down the hallway.

He changed as quick as possible, getting ready for his French class. He didn't have a lot of 'normal' classes, only 17 hours a week. The other 32 were spent either dancing, working on his character and general charm, or working out.

He felt weird, wearing his purple lumpy space princess tee and some black skinny jeans, so used to his uniform.

He made his way to class, passing some students along the way. They all had the same dark bags under their eyes, and the same look of determination on their face.

Dan loved being here, loved this school, the environment. It gave him the pressure he needed, the routine he longed for, he couldn't slack here. Slacking meant someone else would take your spot. No one could take his spot, cause once you lose it, it's hell to get it back.

"Je suis désolé d'être on retard, Monsieur", Dan said, in his not all too good French.

His teacher nodded, "go sit down, the lesson hadn't started yet".

With that, Dan went to his usual seat and took out his text book, already thinking about this afternoon.