The Chase

The Chase

Christina Gallo

Sofia Drivas awoke in a damp sweat after tossing and turning all night long. Her eyes popped open, her breath ragged, as memories of her childhood tormented her. The sound of her mother's angry voice vibrated in every crevice of her brain as she hollered and ranted, searing a mental image that will never go away.

With a loud thump, she got out of bed and began getting ready for a very busy day. She padded her way to her closet with a towel on her head and another towel wrapped around her body in search of something to wear. Working in the fashion industry certainly had its rewards. She had more clothing than most and knowing that it was Friday, she decided on a sexy brown off the shoulder sweater dress and a pair of knee high brown suede boots with a four-inch heel.

Her job was diverse and she wore many hats. Today she was set to assist in the approval of the new summer line and planned to work the entire day behind closed doors.

On her way to work, she stopped off at her favorite café and ordered a variety of treats to bring to work. The day always started better with something sweet in your mouth, plus her co-workers will enjoy the treat.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the gorgeous Miss Drivas." The commanding, deep voice seemed to have come from her right.

Feeling a slight chill run down her spine, Sofia did her best to keep herself in check, knowing exactly whom that sexy voice belonged to. She closed her eyes for a moment doing her best to calm her rapidly beating heart.

With as much grace as she could muster, Sofia turned, and smiled. "Good morning Lucian."

Lucian felt his slacks get a little tighter as he stared at the gorgeous woman before him. Her honey sweet voice managed to send a chill down his spine causing him to stop and stare. Her dark brown hair flowed down her back in waves adorning her perfect porcelain-like skin. Her brilliant blue eyes were framed with thick, long, dark lashes, adding to her allure. His downfall was her thick, full lips. Every time he looked at them, he wanted to run his tongue over them and suck on her lush bottom lip.

He moved behind her and pulled out a wad of bills and as the young man behind the counter announced the amount due. Lucian handed over the money and with a devilish grin, glanced at Sofia and winked. "I got this."

Sofia's composure cracked as his hand grazed the roundness of her right breast. She attempted to move to her left but there was someone directly behind her. In a soft voice, she looked at the cashier working the counter and said, "No. Don't take his money."

Lucian gave the cashier a hard look and inched a little closer and demanded, "Here, I insist."

Feeling the heat rise to her neck and cheeks. Sofia moved to the side and waited for the transaction to be completed and took the boxed goods from Lucian, thanked him and made her way to the exit.

Lucian smiled and followed her departing form to the door. Ever the gentleman, he opened it, and allowed her to pass. "One would think you were avoiding me," he said as he perused her from head to toe. "You wouldn't happen to be avoiding me Sofia? Would you?"

Sofia felt another chill run down her spine and needed to get as far away from Lucian as possible. Swallowing back the saliva that formed in her mouth, she said in a soft voice, "Avoiding you Lucian? Why on earth would you assume that?" She took a few more steps towards her white Range Rover and paused. "You are aware what happens when you assume? Right?"

Lucian stood there with his arms folded across his chest, his feet a little more than hip distance apart, a wry grin etched his ruggedly handsome face. He shook his head from left to right as he replied, "Now, now, Bella. Need I remind you what happened the last time I saw you?"