Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Sofia rode in Judy's car to the restaurant and smiled as they parked. "I haven't been here in ages. I almost forgot about this place."

Judy nodded and replied, "My brother always comes here and can't speak highly enough about the food and service."

They walked inside and were seated at a huge table and handed menus.

"I'm starving," said John in a happy voice. "I can't wait to eat."

"I'm starving too," added Tammy. "What's everyone in the mood for?"

Sofia looked at the menu for a few moments and blurted, "Penne Arrabiata."

"I'm gonna have the porter house," laughed David as he rubbed his hands together with glee.

Judy looked at John and asked, "What are your plans for Thanksgiving?"

"Going to spend the day at home. I'm exhausted and just want to vegetate."

"What about you Sofia," asked David in a curious voice.

Sofia looked solemn, lowered the menu and replied, "I think I'll go visit my yia-yia and pappous. I haven't seen them in a while and it will make them happy if I visit."

"That's so sweet," cooed Tammy.

"Jared!" exclaimed Judy as she waved her hand frantically. "Over here."

"Hey Judy," hummed her brother while inwardly praying Sofia wouldn't react. "I didn't expect to see you here."

Sofia slowly put her menu down and felt her stomach tighten. Her heart beat rapidly in her chest as her eyes met those of Lucian. Her cheeks reddened knowing all eyes were on her so she mustered up the strength to smile and say, "Hi Jared. Hi Lucian," in a curt voice.

"Why don't you join us," offered John feeling the tension in the air. "There's plenty of room and we haven't ordered yet."

Sofia felt her heart beat a little faster and needed a distraction from the very handsome man standing there staring at her. She was about to take a bite of the piece of bread she was buttering just before John spoke.

Lucian lifted a chair from another table and placed it alongside Sofia. As he sat down, he leaned in and brushed her lips with a kiss and whispered, "I've missed you."

Sofia did her best to keep her emotions in check as a piece of her shattered heart started to mend. Knowing all eyes were on her, she looked at Lucian and asked in a puzzled voice, "What brings you here? I mean you have your own amazing place."

Jared interjected before Lucian blew his cover and said, "I asked him to join me. I wanted him to see some of the choices on the menu and consider some for his place."

Lucian let out the breath he was holding; relieved Jared intervened and actually saved the moment.

"Oh," added Tammy with excitement. "What a great idea."

Lucian moved his chair even closer to Sofia and wrapped his arm around her. "I've been worried about you. You haven't answered any of my calls or text messages."

Sofia shifted in her seat and crossed her legs. The nearness of Lucian had her heart beating so fast she was afraid the entire table could hear it. Her chest heaved as she pulled on inner strength to fight the warm feeling inside her, every time he touched her. She turned to face him and whispered, "How are you doing? Are you all right?"

The moment his brown eyes stared into her gorgeous blue orbs Lucian came undone. He watched her speak and loved the way her dimples played peek-a-boo with each word she spoke,  all he wanted to do was carry her out of there and take her home.