Prologue

Here in the dark, laying in my dog bed, I watch as my young owner frantically packs her bags up. Shes scrambling around, grabbing clothes and such shoving them into her case. Her mate is helping. I wait for them to open the closet and find the my crate. But.. they don't. I stare at my owners stomach, swollen with new life. Where are we going?, I wonder to myself.
    My owner is lowering herself down to where I am, I think she is about to grab my collar and put on my leash but she doesn't. She's blabbing on in her human-speak. All I understand of it is "Goodbye, Pepper" and "Be good". I stare at her in confusion until it hits.
    They are leaving without me. They are packing up and leaving me to the wrath of the poison that turned us into night prowlers. I whimper, trying to get her to stay. She simply stands up, walking to her suitcase. I watch as they both leave out the door. A few minutes later as I'm looking out the window I see the car pull out of the first floor parking lot. There they go. Never to be seen again.
    Alone. I'm all alone. How will I survive? How is this possible? Why did this happen? I lift my head up and scream in a terrible barking howl as loud as I can. The signal for a emergency meeting. Within minutes the whole neighborhood is howling and barking and even some cats have joined in raising their scratchy voices in fur-raising hisses.
    I bounded through the doggy-door and down the hallway. I half ran half fell down the stairs. When I had finally bolted out of the apartment building I made a beeline for the old warehouse used for meetings. when I walked in many others where there already. Dogs streamed through the doors until everyone was here. I did a small role call in my mind looking around. Me, Rosemary, Kira, Oliver, Snowflake, Scout, Aqua, Pickle, Kiwi, and Splash. I nodded knowing that everyone was here.