COAF: Chapter One (1st draft)

Chapter 1

All was silent when I woke up. No birds were chirping outside, no water dripping from the cave walls, no sound of the fast beat of horse's clopping, and no shouts of men. I smiled slighty. I was in a safe place.

"Well," said a voice. "You've finally woken up." I gasped and jumped. The voice was coming from the corners of the cave but no one was there, or atleast as far as I could see.

"W-w-who're you?" I stuttered. "Where are you?"

A figure stepped out from the shadows. I stared at him. It was a boy, about a year or two older than me. He had sandy brown wind swept hair, bright greenish-blueish eyes, freckles, and lightly tanned skin.

"I'm Quentin," said the boy. "And I know exactly who you are, Virgo," he added, stressing the words 'you' and 'Virgo'. How I dreaded that name!

"Don't say my name," I growled.

"Whatever. I was sent here against my wishes and now I must complete the mission, unfortaunutly." Huh? What mission? "You need to know that the generals know where you are. They're sending men out right now. In fact, they're in the field nearby. If I were you, I'd slap the sleep out of me and get going! Or else we both fail."

"Fail on what? Who sent you here? What mission?" I voiced my questions.

"I can't answer any questions for now till I have to be certain. Now hurry up!"

Finally, I decided to trust this cute, yet annoying, suspisicous guy. Quickly, I jumped up and began limping to the mines going underground, following the hurrying boy.

"Where are we going?" I demanded.

"Somewhere safe, duh."

Frowning, I growled and practicallu jogged to catch up with Quentin's fast pace.

We were a probably a couple miles in when the cieling began shaking. "What is it?" I shout as I clutch my head to keep any huge rocks from hitting it.

Quentin cursed. "They're right above and coming in. Move it, move it!" He snatched my wrist and began running, pulling me with him. I recognized the sound of horse hooves echoing in the tunnel.

I gasped as my ankle hit a sharp rock and I fell to my knees. I couldn't run at all and I was going to be captured! Quentin glanced back at me and saw me and my bleeding ankle. He sighed, exasperated, and ran back to me. "What're you doing?" I asked as he kneeled.

"Just get on," was all he said. Confused, I wrapped my arms around his neck and suddenly, Quentin stood up and began running. I clutched around him to stay on. Now I saw what he was doing. Since I couldn't run, he was going to carry me.

His hands holding me on as he ran so fast that it practically was impossible, Quenting jumped and sprinted down the underground mine. "I see 'em!" someone shouted out from way behind us. "Come on, come on!" I urged Quentin.

"Aah!" Quentin dropped me into a small hole and jumped in after me and we slid down in the tunnel leading from the hole. I screamed as we fell out of the dark tunnel.

Again, everything was silent except for our breathing. "How-how did you know there was a opening here?" I gasped, breathing deeply, trying to calm my uneven breathing and wheezes. Gasping too, Quentin shrugged and shakily stood up.

"I know where everything is. Now come on, before they find the hole too after they discover we're no where in sight," Quentin muttered and began walking away.

"Ehem, I think you forgot something." Quentin turned back around and glanced at my ankle.

"Fine," he groaned. "We'll put camp into the field nearby and then maybe I'll explain to you the mission. Anyway, get on." Again, Quenting kneeled and again, carried me piggy back. "God, you're killing my back."

"If you hurry up, then you can finally drop me." That boosted Quentin's speed by almost a mile. He quickly ran to a nearby open field and dropped me into the mud. Frowning, I crawled out of the mud and attempted to wipe it off. "Hmp!" I harrumphed.

"Whatever." Quentin tuned into a deep silence soon. After he collect wood and lit the fire, Quentin stared into the dark, burning wood. "I was working one day at my Dad's bike shop," he began. I glanced at him. "He left to get more parts for some picky customer when a man walked up to me. The man asked me to come with him. I followed him. I was only eight. What would I know if a stranger asked me to come with him? As soon as we entered a dark alley, the man knocked me out. Week later, I woke up into a odd iron building. The nurse told me what happened. She said the man was a dangerous man from Que Tosse. Years later, I was working in the S.T.W when the head called me to his office. The head never told me anything but who to find and what to do and how it would effect the world. I didn't want to but he gave me no choice and I was transported here."

"What's the S.T.W?" I ask quietly when Quentin went into silence once more.

"Save the World, some call it. Others say it's Stop the Wars. But it's both," Quentin explained.

"So why were you sent here?"

"I had to find a young female that would make a big change in the world. If I didn't come, she would worsen the world war happening in her time, but if I did help her, she'd stop all the rest of the world wars." Quentin glanced at me.

"Her time?" I asked, emphasizing the word 'her'.

"Yeah, her time. 'Cause I'm not from it. I am way into the future from her time. That's how we have a time traveling device to send us back. I need to help her so I can prevent the WWIV that is about to happen in my time," Quentin leaned on the log he was sitting against. "And you know who she is?"

I had a gut-wrentching suspisicoun that I hoped was wrong. Shaking my head, I leaned in, interested.

"You."