Wonderwall // Clutch Preview

It was a little past two am when Raina decided to go for a walk.

The halls of the EA were deadly silent save for the quiet, echoing footsteps of her early morning stroll. All the lights were off according to curfew rules — all activity ceased after ten; the whole campus shuts down.

But that didn't stop her from a little old fashioned exploring to calm down her nerves. She couldn't help but replay that scene from earlier over and over in her head...

...the piercing glint of Castor's green glare...

...the dark crimson stains on the tile...

...the rush of adrenaline as he yanked at her wrist and forced her into his chest just before-

Wait. Raina stopped in her tracks, all thought ceasing to reel. The hall fell silent once more, not even a bird chirping outside in the cherry blossom trees.

I could have sworn...

And then she heard it again — crying. Her head spun around, but not a soul was behind her. This problem lay elsewhere, its source placing itself atop Raina's personal "Wanted" list.

She pressed forward as quietly as she could, the muffled crying noises getting louder as she edged towards the end of the hall. She sidled up alongside the wall and, taking a deep breath, peered around the corner only to see a sight that just about broke her heart into a million pieces.

Axel.

Axel is crying.

Raina frowned, fists clenching at her sides.

Axel is crying...

She grit her teeth.

Who the hell made Axel cry?

Raina took another breath and straightened up, stepping around the corner into view and making her way over to her best friend who sat with his knees drawn up to his chest and his face buried in his arms. For someone as tall and lanky as him, it was odd seeing him so curled up.

It was saddening to see him make himself so small.

It was angering that he, the only person Raina knew in the entire world who was actually good at burying his emotions, was reduced to tears by some heartless jerk with nothing better to do.

"Ten bucks it was your brother," she whispered and immediately regretted it when Axel's shoulders stiffened and he somehow managed to make himself even smaller than he already was.

"Sorry, that was uncalled for," Raina said, sheepishly rubbing at her neck. Axel still didn't look up, but he listened.

"Its okay," he whispered. The blonde shook her head.

"No, it's really not."

When he didn't respond, she let out a sigh and looked towards the window across the hall. Outside, the night sky glittered with the light of a thousand stars. The moon was an even grander sight, it's light spilling in through the glass and across the floor to just barely reach the tips of Axel's sock-clad feet.

"You've really outdone yourself tonight," Raina murmured, hoping to get something out of him. She turned, hopes dashing as she saw not even a smile grace his lips.