Chapter 17 Pt. 2

I let out a deep sigh of relief and nodded my head.

 "Alright." I said softly.

My eyes anxiously wandered the room, sizing up my competition. Shit… Everyone was gorgeous… and then there was me. I looked like a wilting flower next to Leo, but that was just fine with me, as long as no one else minded.

 We walked casually through the large mass of people, well, I had attempted to walk briskly and get through this as quickly as possible, but Leo’s firm grip on my waist slowed me down, and calmed me. I held my posture and attempted to look as confident as possible. I flashed a couple friendly smiles here and there, trying my best to be polite. Everyone just looked so elegant and cool, I felt like a lone thorn within a luscious rose garden.

 And speaking of roses, just as I thought Leo and I had safely arrived at the opposite end of the room without having to socialize, who walks up to us? None other than the always stunning, Kate Winslet.

 "Leo, hi!" She gushed, revealing one of her gorgeous smiles.

 "Hey!" He replied. His hand slid away from my waist and swiftly placed his hands onto her shoulders. I didn’t like it when he let go of me. I felt vulnerable and alone with the absence of his touch; sad, but true. They both leaned in, placing soft air kisses on one another’s cheeks. I swear, every time that leo was around Kate something changed about him. He just seemed so happy, but in a different way than usual. I can’t quite explain it. One one hand, I thought their little friendship was adorable and sweet, but on the other hand, I could have just as easily shoved Kate aside and taken her place. But at the same time I couldn’t because she was just too damn sweet. No matter how jealous you are, it’s virtually impossible to think negatively about that woman.

 “Hello, I’m Kate. I don’t think we’ve met.” she said grinning, as we daintily shook hands. Apparently I hadn’t made a very lasting impression on the set of Titanic a few months back.

 “Hi, I’m Melanie.” I said politely. Well, so far so good.

“This is my friend, Melanie, the one I told you about. You know, the writer from, “A Star’s World” magazine?” Leo added.

 I watched closely as Kate’s eyes suddenly brightened. What was this all about? Leo had told her about me?! Told her what exactly? Oh god…

 "Oh this is Melanie?" She asked, giving Leo a light smirk. "I've heard an awful lot about you." She said, flashing one of her bright, beautiful smiles.

 “Oh gosh… All good things I hope.” I said softly, my hand unconsciously lifting up to the side of my face, attempting to nervously pull a strand of hair behind my ear that wasn’t even there.

 “Oh yes, all nice things, I promise.” Kate laughed sweetly. Just then, a familiar looking man approached Kate, tapping her on the arm before they entered a warm embrace.

 “I’ll see you two later!” she chimed, with a quick flick of the wrist as she wandered off with the man who I had now decided was the actor who played Mr. Andrews, Victor Garber.

 “You aren’t too jealous, are you?” Leo whispered with a smirk.

“I’m too awestruck to be jealous.” I said softly, still in a star studded daze. God Kate was magnificent.

 He smiled at me, wrapping his arm back around my waist, but pulling me closer this time. I think he realized that I needed that. It was pretty obvious that I was still quite uncomfortable here, even though I had calmed down a bit by now. We began walking over to our marked seats at the table just when Jim Cameron approached us. I immediately tensed up again.