Standing By And Waiting At Your Back Door

Three Years Ago

It was the night of Freshman Prom and Caitlin was getting ready for it. Even though she had no date and nothing really to do, Barry had insisted that she came. He promised that he would spend some time with her even though he had a date with Iris. So she had decided to attend so he could have what he wanted. She loved seeing him happy even more than she loved seeing him. Almost as much as she loved him.

She was simply wearing a black dress that ended just above her knees and had tied her hair into a neat bun. After applying her makeup, she looked at herself in the mirror and sighed. What was the point anyway? The one person who she actually wanted to go with was going with someone else. Even if he was going to spend a lot of the time with her, it did not change the truth. They were just friends, no more. But she was still in love with him nevertheless.

She grabbed her car keys and drove herself to the prom. She was one of the few people without a date and the ones without one never turned up. She couldn't help but feel like she was missing out on something.

She desperately wished that it was Barry picking her up and kissing her on the doorstep and placing a corsage around her wrist then walking her to his car and driving her to the prom like the gentleman he was. And they would dance the whole right away and then they would return to his place or hers, wherever they could be alone, and spend the night together. But it was just a dream and it would never happen. But that didn't make it any less depressing or saddening that it wasn't a reality.

After parking her car in the car park, she entered the building and saw many happy couples slow dancing to music making her sigh half-heartedly at the sight of everything she longed for that they had. Everything that he had but was experiencing with someone else. And that hurt. it hurt so much.

She saw him dancing with Iris looking really happy. She watched as he gazed at her as if she was the best and most precious thing in his life. She almost cried at the sight.  He didn't need her. He had another girl who made him happier than she'd ever seen him. Why couldn't she be her?

But as he caught Caitlin's gaze he immediately parted from Iris and approached Caitlin with a wide smile and stopped in front of her.

"Wow. You look great," Barry complimented making her blush crimson red. "Dance?" He asked, offering her his hand. It wasn't the same dance that she wanted and had dreamt about with him as her Prince Charming but she had to take what she could get. She accepted his hand with a soft smile and they progressed to the dance floor.

She could feel Iris' eyes on her like a hawk, clearly jealous. Caitlin knew that this dance was perfectly innocent even if she wanted it to be more she knew that this was completely platonic for him.

...

The night progressed and Barry hadn't left her side once. She had expected him to leave her to speak to Iris and be with her instead but instead, he was still here with her. Between dancing and drinks, he refused to be separated from her which she did not understand.

"Barry, you have Iris. Why are you staying here with me?" She asked after a short while.

"Because... you're alone and I don't want to leave you by yourself. And I want to spend this with you," Barry replied, not realising that his answer sounded a lot more than just platonic friendship.

"I'm not your date, Barry, Iris is. I know that you would rather be with her really. Don't feel sorry for me because I know that you're doing this out of pity. I'm fine. All I want is for you to enjoy prom with your girlfriend. The girl you have feelings for. Not me. And she is all by herself right now all alone without her date. Now go find her and apologise," Caitlin replied wanting to cry from her own words.