Chapter Three

I was sitting around when I saw Robert leave. He had a big raincoat on,  it was only a light shower but I don’t think I realised that at the time. Leo and Maxine were in the room with me, Leo doing his job, Maxine on a stolen laptop. I’ve seen her social media stuff, her pictures. God almighty. I’d never wanted to drag someone to a convent before I’d seen them. Saying that, even nuns would probably turn her request for membership down. Did nuns take on members? Now all I could see were nuns inside a convent like some old gentleman’s club.

About twenty minutes passed. I made some small talk with Leo, I tried to talk with Maxine but she was having none of it.

Maxine has this thing about Joe and I. Kinda regards us as the Boogeymen. Thinks we’re creepy, unneeded. Probably thinks we’re dumb too, because what teen doesn’t think that? I joked with Joe about dressing up and creeping her out, but I doubt Robert would be pleased if his offspring ran away because his employees dressed up in spraypainted, mostly hairless William Shatner masks chased her around the place.

Maxine shielded her screen from us as well. I didn’t get the point. It was like some guy painting this real nice picture of a pirate ship then  repainting over it and taking out the guns and flag because one person didn’t like it. Didn’t make sense to me or Leo. I mean, we already knew what she was looking at. Kids are too obvious these days. It’s the Internet that’s made them so easy to read. Being a kid must suck these days.

“So, any word from Monroe?”

I had to ask because it was sorta burning around in my head. Leo shook his head. Maxine didn’t even move.

“Should be something tomorrow.” he sighed. Frustration was in high circulation in this house tonight.

The door opened. We turned to see Robert walk into the house. Leo didn’t see it but I did. Red, smeared down his front, only on his coat. He took off this coat and popped his head into the room.

“Kids? Miss Leepowlski isn’t going to be teaching you any more. From now on, you can just learn for yourselves. Won’t be too hard.”

Leo and I shared a glance. Now it clicked in Leo’s head. I think Maxine saw the blood when I did, because she was white as a sheet. She excused herself and rushed outside. I could tell she was heading out, probably to vent her feelings. Robert wouldn’t be too happy about her leaving alone, but when was he ever truly happy?

Liam.

City’s a fine place if you’re willing to look past its people. Believe me, I learned a long time ago that no one ever treats you with a dime of respect. Not even a Bishop cares.

It was raining and the street was littered with puddles. Not many  people cared though. They walked through the waters. I didn’t, because I cared too much for my expensive shoes. Sometimes I realised how selfish I could be and knocked it out. Sometimes I just didn’t care.

I was, as always, tracking someone. Wasn’t too difficult, because for the most part that’s all I did. In this case I was following a Lea Lena. Try saying that one when you’re drunk.  Actually, don’t. You never know what her overrated husband might do.

Lea wasn’t an easy person to follow. Obviously she was being sneaky on the orders of her husband. I’d lost sight of her a few blocks back. I suspected she had caught some sight of me, which is the P.I.’s version of a hangover. We don’t like being seen. No one does.

Granted I was tracking down one Lena, but as I walked past Slicing Joes Deli (I’ve eaten there before. The pastrami tastes like the smell of furniture polish) I couldn’t help look in. And then I saw Maxine Lena, daughter of Lea. She was sitting at this table, kind of greasy in a quaint way. She was talking to this guy, looked around my age. I saw the side of his face. Lips were chapped, cheeks were wrinkled and almost drooped like jowls. The way he used his hands when he spoke told me he was someone who was employed for his vocals over his experience.