Fae, Fate and Gods

The sun above burnt harshly into her eyes as she peeked through her hand at it. She felt it warm her skin slowly as she walked through the tall grass of a meadow. Ahead lay a small village, about another 5 minute's walk away. She sighed to herself and continued walking ahead. Tiny birds dove and played as she walked through the grass, she watched them for a while. The sun caught her attention again and she tilted her head up into the light, the sun illuminated white skin, so white she almost looked sickly. A thin, delicate figure added to this affect. If you were to look closely at her you would see bright, brilliant green eyes with a playfulness masking a deep intelligence which would leave you entranced.

The village she approached was quaint. The people were no doubt superstitious at best and down right xenophobic at worst. She knew their kind. Nothing she wasn't used to. Most villages like this knew her as a trickster spirit, which was only half right. Yes, she enjoyed messing with the humans every now and then, ruining crops, causing animals to run amuck or catch disease. But, that was not her true goal or her true name, she was a trickster but not a spirit. She was one of the fae. In this village she was on an important information gathering trip. For her true goal was the assassination of a certain monarch on the orders of the Gods and Fate. Her name was Eris.

Fate was not a friend of hers. She had many enemies among the fae, with Fate being her least favourite entity among them. This made her mission all the more frustrating. Following Fate's direction was the last thing she wanted. Most of the town folk had ignored her, despite the fact that this village was in the middle of nowhere and visitors who weren't travelling traders where nigh unheard of. She walked into the town's only inn and smiled warmly to a surprised bar-tender. It was barely mid-day so drinking was probably inappropriate, she asked if there was anything cooking in the back. The innkeeper looked at her speculatively and asked "You're a traveller, huh?"

She gave a simple nod in return, before hesitating and offering her true name "You can call me Eris."

"That's a unique name."

"It was my mother's" She lied, returning his stare.

"I'm Jakob, you will be wanting something to eat I'm sure; I've got some broth on the stove that should be done soon. Fancy some water while you wait?"

Eris nodded and Jakob reached under the bar, pouring her a drink before disappearing out the back. She sat in silence for a few minutes and looked around, the whole place was empty. It appeared she'd have to stay here a while before she could get what she wanted. Great. When the man reappeared holding a bowl of warm broth filled with chunks of meat, Eris casually gestured to the stairs right of the bar. "Do you have spare lodgings here? I don't have anywhere to stay."

The innkeeper laughed "Fancy asking me if I have any vacancies in a town like this. Yes, I'm the only place in town you'll find a good bed. Not overpriced either."

"You don't need to sell it to me if it's the only place in town." She smiled at him playfully.

"The lady has a point." he admitted, "How many nights do you plan on staying?"

"I'm in town for the next day or two at least, maybe more." She stared at the soup as she ate, seemingly weighing something up.

He asked her reason for staying and she continued staring into her soup, if you looked very closely you might see frustration flicker briefly behind her blank expression. "I'm looking for a rare medicine, I've heard it can be found in the woods close to this town." The man talked with her a little longer about it and she gave vague details before asking to see the room.

She stayed at the inn a while before venturing out into the town, she was itching to mess with someone after being forced to make up a lie on the fly. She was still cursing herself for not already having an excuse ready, but then really what was she doing here? She wandered into the woods without a clear plan in mind. Eventually she heard the sound of running water and followed it to a small stream. She smiled mischievously and sat cross-legged at the edge of the stream. The small woman pulled her long, brown hair to one side and plucked a hair, hummed quietly while she drew a circle in the dirt, and stopped to mutter an incantation. Suddenly, Fate was standing opposite Eris. With her feet in the stream, her shoes and stockings wet. Eris stood and met Fate's eyes with a smirk. A strangely alluring, deep voice muttered "You know I hate water."

Eris feigned an apologetic look, her voice sounded much higher compared to the woman opposite her. "Oh really? I thought you liked it?"

Fate stood much taller than Eris, her posture and aura were powerful and her eyes almost entirely taken up by huge blue and purple irises. Her hair was white and fell to the ground like a veil. She narrowed her eyes at Eris, obviously displeased. "What is it that you have called on me for, marked one?"

Eris clenched her jaw as she heard those final words and the stream started flowing backwards. Her mouth was set in a line as she hissed dangerously "I have called you because I am in the middle of Fairnlend, also known as the edge of civilisation. I have no details, no explanation and I am angry. I would rip your throat out and dance on your bleeding corpse right now if it wasn't for this damned mark."

Fate sighed and spoke as if chiding a naughty child, "Calm yourself Eris. You are here to look for a man by the name of Garrat. He will accompany you to the next town you are directed to. He will also provide information."

"He knows I am to be taking him away then?" Eris gestured widely with her palms to the sky. "Why be secretive then I can just ask for him and have it done with?" 

"No, your job is to convince him to come, you were chosen for this because of your silver tongue. This must be kept secret, there are those who know of our plans." Fate brushed a strand of white hair from her face and her bright eyes bore again into Eris' "You must do this, it is your-"

"I WILL NOT BE TOLD WHAT I MUST DO BY YOU." Eris tensed her whole body like a cat and the stream stopped flowing, locking Fate's bare feet in place. Fate's firm expression changed to one of annoyance. "You are the one who must." Eris hissed. "You must go back to the Gods and tell them I will not work with Fate. Else I'll tear you limb from limb." Her voice was dark with anger.

"What makes you think you are more powerful than I, Eris?" Fate stepped out of the water and it began flowing again. "Do not test my patience. I will not be lenient with you as I have been in times past. Eris, this is the whole world we are speaking of. It all rests with you. For what reason only the Gods may know, maybe they are as thoughtless as you are. Maybe they only want to cause chaos. But," she paused and took a deep breath, "I want order. And it will come. Do as I say, Eris. Stop acting like a spoilt child."

Eris was overcome with rage at Fate's provocation, she lifted her hand to strike her but was unable to move. She struggled against the mark in vain.

"You have been ordered to perform this task by the Gods, their words are final and you will listen to what I say, even if you have to be forced into it by the power of the god's mark on you."

Eris gave up on battling the mark and immediately found she was able to move. "Why don't you just mark this Garrat man so that he cannot disobey either, you would have no need for me." She avoided Fate's piercing gaze, staring daggers instead at the water.

Fate rolled her eyes, "The mark only affects faen creatures such as you and I. He is human."

"Fine. Leave, then." Eris flicked her wrist in a dismissive gesture at the taller woman. Fate sighed, slowly shut her eyes and faded away until all that remained was the trickster and the stream.

Eris left the forest at dusk, mumbling morbid things about the Gods and Fate.