Chapter 23

"I can't believe you're leaving, Bella." Logan sighs as we both sit behind the counter at the shelter. "What the hell am I supposed to do here without you?"

I just put in my two weeks notice. In two weeks, I will be leaving my job at the animal shelter and starting my new job as Sarah Winston's nanny. Bryan got back to me fairly quickly about the position, saying that it was mine if I wanted it. And as uncertain as I was about it, I took it.

I love my job here at the shelter, but it doesn't pay nearly enough. Bryan is offering me more than double what I make now. I'd be stupid not to take it. Harry told me to do what I want and not to worry about the money, but just because I'm moving in with him doesn't mean that I'm not going to be paying for things.

"You'll have Stacey." I remind Logan, not wanting to dwell on a decision that I've already made.

"Great." He says sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "Do you have any plans tonight?"

"Just moving more of my crap to Harry's apartment." That job is seriously taking longer than I anticipated. Apparently, I have much more stuff than I thought I did. There are only a few boxes left, and I'm hoping to be officially moved in with Harry by this weekend.

"Well, how about you take a break from that and let me take you out."

"Out?" I frown.

"To celebrate."

"Celebrate what?"

"Your last days here at the old shelter. I don't want you to forget about me when you're living it up in that CEO's mansion." He teases, and I laugh. "I'm serious, Bella. I'm super happy for you, but I'm also gonna miss you."

"I'm gonna miss you too, Logan." I tell him honestly.

"So, what do you say? Wanna go out tonight?" He asks, nudging my elbow with his own.

I take a breath before nodding. "Sure. Why not?"

"Sweet, let's go." He hops up from behind the counter, and I frown.

"Wait, right now?"

"Of course."

"But we're working. We don't close for another hour."

"So?" He smirks at me. "You've left work early before, why start following the rules now?"

I look at him for a second, thinking. He's right. I'm surprised I haven't been fired from this job. I leave early every chance I can get. That's mostly because I really don't think people are in the mood to adopt pets after dinner time, but still.

"Okay, fine." I sigh, giving in and standing to my feet.

A few minutes later, Logan and I pull up in front of a bar downtown. He convinced me to close up early, and then told me to get in my car and follow him, so I did.

Now the two of us are sitting in a booth with a table full of half-eaten appetizers, talking and laughing about everything that has happened during our time working together.

"And let's not forget the time that your boyfriend told me to fuck off and called me dick." He teases, sticking a french fry in his mouth.

"To be fair, he wasn't my boyfriend at that point." I laugh as my fingers twirl the straw around my glass of water.

"True." He nods, leaning back in his seat. "God, that feels like ages ago, doesn't it?"

"It does."

"So much has changed. I mean, you and Harry are moving in together." He says in astonishment, and I smile.

"I know. It's crazy."