Chapter 15 - 57309

Three. That is the number of times in my life I have felt a shift. Shift meaning that there was a large enough cataclysmic change happening or about to happen in my life that I could feel it; it has happened three times.

The first time I felt a shift was when my father and sister didn't come home on time. Little did I know, not even an hour later, I would be set down by a police officer to hear the news that my father and sister weren't coming home. They were gone. Forever.

The second time I felt a feeling was when I left to find Max, and even though I was prepared to find him dead on the side of the road somewhere, I somehow knew everything would be okay. And when I found him and finally got the answers I needed, I felt a sort of peace.

The third time, well the third time is now. Right now, as I run out of Max's apartment towards Michael who is in my car. I pay no attention to how I left his apartment only concerning myself with how late I am. The reason I feel this way? Well, I'm not really sure yet. I just know something doesn't feel right in my gut.

Either way, I let the feeling go as I run out the bottom door, almost tripping and falling on a rock as I run toward the car. When I get in, I could clearly tell he was extremely irritated and as much as I hated to admit it; he had every right to be. I had called the hotel over two hours ago to see if Michael wanted to hang out a little because I was honestly bored out of my mind sitting in that apartment all alone.

Max is a good guy, but he had to go back to work the morning after our little 'conversation.''That was two days ago, and since the television hardly works, there isn't a radio, and the only other form of communication he has is a wall phone, I figured it would be best to get out and see the town before I left for home. Which, until now, wasn't really something I had been thinking about. Max and I had agreed on a week, and that week is almost up.

With everything that has been going on, I guess I just forgot about Max's and my agreement. I would have to go back, and I couldn't tell anyone. I didn't want to do that - lie that is. I hated lying; I was always bad at it. However, the worst part about this situation is that even though I got what I wanted, it didn't seem right. It still felt off for some reason, yet I didn't know why. I guess in life you just have to take the cards you're dealt in strides.

"Hello? Earth to Skylar?" I am pulled out of my mind as I see Michael looking at me with irritation and confusion in his eyes. "You called me and told me to pick you up here 45 minutes ago." His voice was blunt as he looked at me annoyed. He still hasn't pulled the car out of the lot which annoyed me just as much.

"Can we please just leave?" I say more sharply than I had intended.

"You fell asleep, didn't you?" He was right. I did fall asleep, but I am honestly so tired. After that day with Max, I haven't really been able to sleep. I don't want to tell Michael that either. Why? Because he will go all big brother on me and try to fix everything, maybe even try to talk to Max. Which would be an issue since I may have left that part out while talking to Max. He still thinks I'm here alone.

"It's none of your business Michael."

"You fell asleep." Michael says as he starts the car and pulls out of the lot.

"It's not that big of a deal Michael; can we please just move on." I huff as I look out the window. Out of the corner of my eye I see Michael, looking at me with more concern than I have ever seen in him before. I bite my lower lip in concern as I hope and pray he doesn't pry for any more information.

"Fine. But we will talk about you're abnormal sleepiness later." I make a slight groan as he turns the corner towards town. I bury my head in my hands as I try hard not to think about telling him about everything that had happened with Max. I wasn't fully prepared for that yet.