c h a p t e r 9

"Welcome home, Zaynab," Yusra and Huda greeted simultaneously, as they both stood at the door, welcoming Zaynab.

"Thanks," Zaynab replied in a tiny voice. Hassan's presence next to her was making her want to remain quiet, not that he had done anything to make her feel that way.

"Come on in, then," Huda said, as she pulled Yusra's arm, and they both stepped aside to make way for the couple to enter.

"Dad, Yasir, Yahya and Hadid are back home?" Hassan asked his sisters.

"Yeah. Yasir, Yahya and Hadid are in their rooms, but mum and dad are waiting in the living room for the two of you. Lets go," Yusra said.

Hassan nodded and stepped inside. When Zaynab didn't follow, he turned around.

"Come, Zaynab," Hassan told her.

Zaynab replayed the way he said her name. He had said it for the first time and the way it sounded from his deep voice just made her fall in love with her name. She wished he could just say her name all day. She then mentally slapped herself for thinking like that. What was she, a teenager? She sure was behaving like one!

Zaynab nodded and followed behind Hassan. He led her to the living room, which was very nice and cosy. Zaynab's eyes took in the place. It was dimly lit, with soft cream walls. Only one wall, the largest one, was dark brown. There were dark brown leather couches against the cream walls, and against the large dark brown wall was a dark brown living room cabinet. There was also a full length window, which overlooked a pretty garden. Cream coloured curtains lined the window frames. It was a very homely living room.

Rumaysah and Umar, Hassan's parents, were sitting on one of the couches. As soon as their eyes landed on the couple, they both stood up.

"Come, Hassan, Zaynab!" Rumaysah welcomed, warmly. "Take a seat," she said.

"Wait, Rumaysah! Let me see my new daughter-in-law first!" Umar said, shaking his head at his wife's haste.

He walked over towards Hassan and Zaynab. He took Zaynab's head between his hands and kissed her forehead.

"Now, I have three daughters. Not just two," Umar said. "You're to call me dad, just the way my children do."

Zaynab nodded shyly.

"Zaynab? You don't need to be shy around your father-in-law. He's your mahrem," Rumaysah said.

Zaynab just smiled at that. She wasn't shy because of Umar, who would've been older than her own father. Zaynab had never received such nice hospitality ever in her life so she was a little overwhelmed. But she didn't say that to Rumaysah.

"Okay, now that we've seen you, I think you newlyweds need your space. Hassan, go show your wife your room," Umar told his son, who nodded.

Hassan began to leave the room, but not before motioning over to Zaynab to follow him. Zaynab glanced over at Rumaysah, who nodded in Hassan's direction, indicating that Zaynab should follow him.

Hassan led Zaynab upstairs and entered one of the rooms, which Zaynab figured was his.

She didn't know what to expect Hassan's room to be like, so the room didn't really surprise her, but she liked it instantly.

The walls were a light shade of beige, except the one behind the headboard of the bed. That wall was a much darker shade of beige. The furniture complemented the beige walls. Beige curtains were drawn across the windows in the room, so Zaynab couldn't tell what they overlooked.

It looked like a comfortable bedroom. There was a door which Zaynab assumed led to an ensuite bathroom.

"Like it?" Hassan's voice snapped Zaynab out of her trance.