Moonlit Scales: Eight

M O O N L I T   S C A L E S :
Chapter Eight

[]

"WHOOPS. I'M SORRY, Phoenix." I went to pick up the sword that was given to me along with the tent and other various supplies. It was an awkward, heavy thing, with which my clumsy hands were unfamiliar.

            My falcon hopped away a few inches from the dreaded weapon, eyeing it like the unwelcome object it was. I retrieved it with a shaking arm, unused to its weight and feel. Sighing, I replaced it in my leather sheath, strapped loosely around my waist. "We're done for today. It's almost midnight."

            As the words left my mouth, a jolt shot up my spine, and I crumpled to the ground in a tired heap. For once I'd found the transformation slightly relaxing. I was stretching each and every one of my muscles without effort, which had become difficult these last few hours.

            Once a dragon, I slithered around the forest floor with my eyes closed, a soothing way I easily fell asleep. Of course, since I had arrived at Casim, anything could really put me to rest. The largest downside to partaking in this battle, aside from my secret identities and royal acquaintance, was the fatigue that came with it. It was bad enough that I lost sleep from my nightly beast shifting, but with the incessant, fierce combat and excelled techniques and skills I had yet to achieve, I became downright exhausted. In a creek not too far from where I trained with my sword, I found dark bags beneath my bloodshot eyes, and my muscles ached like a dull throb that had always been there, my shoulders drooping with a weight I realized I could barely handle. I don't know how long I slept, but when I opened my slit eyes, there stood Ambrose before me, poised with an apple.

            I froze, blinking. How much had he seen? I tilted my neck and stared at the fruit. My eyes met his once again, and I found myself leaning forward to accept the peace offering. My teeth snatched it from his palm and instantly I backed away, spying him cautiously.

            "I will keep your secret," he promised, although I didn't have an ounce of faith in his vow. I had no choice but to pretend I believed him, though, because he knew. He was the son of a powerful man who could easily have me sentenced to death with his word.

            He narrowed his eyes, the ghost of an amused expression settling over his features. "You are the dragon I encountered in those woods a couple of nights ago."

Before realizing the consequences, I answered, Yes.

Ambrose stumbled back, shocked to hear my voice in his head. He recovered quickly, but if he wasn't aware who the dragon was seconds ago, he was certainly sure of it now. He frowned, black wisps of his hair brushed into his peculiar eyes.

"I will not inform my father about any of this, if it is what worries you."

Of course it worried me. I nodded regardless, tilting my head to the pitch void sky so I wouldn't have to look at him. Addy had always told me my eyes were too easily read.

I pored over the stars, taking comfort in their constant, relentless shine. The sky looked so awake, so alive, a drastic change to what was here on the ground. It was then that I wished I were back home, the longing stronger than ever before. All I yearned for was to be tucked under the sheets of my bed, nestled snuggly in my little cottage, surrounded by the people I loved, everyone safe and unharmed. Standing there, holding my breath against the beautiful power of the stars, I almost believed it was possible.

Ambrose ruined the nearly-perfect moment by snapping my thoughts to reality. "You fight exceptionally," he commented, finding it apparently an appropriate thing to say.