Chapter 16

{Carter's POV}

We run as fast as we can back to the cabin. I burst through the door and look around.

"Blue? Are you still here?" I yell.

"Yeah, what?" She asks coming out of the bedroom. "Oh thank god, you found Micah."

She looks at us. Then it hits her.

"Where's Ally?" She asks.

I hand her the bloodstained badge on the cold chain. She covers her mouth with her hand.

"D-do you know where she is?" She asks.

I rub my hand across my eyes.

"No. No, we have no idea." I say.

"Well we gotta find her!" She screeches.

"You don't think I know that, Blue!?" I shout.

She's silent for a minute. Then, she looks at me.

"I think I know someone who could help."

"Who?" I ask her nervously.

"I used to be with this group. The leader, Brilee, was really nice to me. She took me in. Then I got kicked out. But, she owes me." She says.

"Owes you for what?" I ask.

"For saving her life." She states.

Not ten minutes later and were already out the door. We carry small bags of anything we need.

"The camp should be a little way from here. Not long though, maybe an hour or two."

I don't speak. I keep walking, picking up my pace as I go. Soon I'm far ahead of Blue and Micah.

"Carter! Carter, slow down!" Blue shouts.

I hear their footsteps slow to a stop behind me.

"Listen, I know you're worried. We'll find her. I'm sure she's fine." She tries to assure me.

I spin around.

"Fine? I'm positive the she's not fine! Who knows what they're doing to her? These people have technology. The other people that tried to hurt her only had weapons." I say. "I need to find her now."

I turn on my heel and walk away. I let them lag behind me. I walk staring straight ahead, focused on the task. She can handle herself, for now. She's strong. She has her powers and she can fight. She survived a stab wound, drowning and a gunshot.

"Carter stop!" Blue shouts. "We're here."

I turn and see her stand in front of an ordinary cave. She takes a deep breath and walks in. I follow her and she leads us to a door in the rocks. She knocks three times. A panel slides open.

"What are you doing here? We kicked you out." The man states.

"Calm down, Rick, I just need to talk to Brie, She says.

"I don't know if I should let you in. How can I trust that you're not here with Officials?" He asks.

"I'm here with my brothers." She says.

"Names and how old?"

"Carter is eighteen. Micah is nine."

At that his eyes widen a little. He squints at us.

"Fine."

He slides the door open and steps aside to let us in. After Micah and I pass him, he puts his hand on Blues' shoulder.

"Before you talk to Brie, you need to get them to the clinic. Just to check them out."

"We don't have time for that, Rick. It's an emergency." She states walking away.

I follow her down the corridors until we reach a large open space. People of all ages crowd tables, each talking and laughing. A little boy runs up to Blue.

"Blue! What are you doing here?" He asks excitedly.

"I'm here to talk to Brilee, Sam." She smiles.

"Are you stayin'? Huh? Are ya!?" The little boy bounces.

"I'm not sure, kid." She says walking away.

"So, what's the story on this, Brilee?" I ask her.

"She lost a lot. She lost her home, and her family. They all died in some accident. She was the only one that survived. She showed up here, about fifteen years ago and took over as leader. Been that way ever since."

"Wow. So, what'd you do to get kicked out?"

"Stole some supplies." She puts simply.

We stop talking until we reach an old wooden door in a quiet hallway. Blue takes a deep breath and cautiously knocks.

"Come in." The voice says.

She opens the door and sitting at the desk is a young woman. Late thirties, probably. Her brown hair is pulled back into a long ponytail, exposing her bright blue eyes. She seems so, normal and yet, so familiar.

"Blue? What are you doing here?" She says standing up.

"I need a favor. A big one." She says.

"Why should I help you? You stole supplies and almost killed us!" She states.

"Remember, my first run? When those guys were holding you up? I killed them and saved your life. I was fourteen when that happened. Three years later and I come to you and ask for a favor and you can't repay me?"

She sighs.

"Listen, I don't know a lot about you but I need your help. I need to get her back. We are running out of time. I'm not even sure how much time she has left." I say to her.

"What would Officials want with a normal teenage girl?" She asks.

"Well, she wasn't exactly normal." I say.

"What do you mean?"

"If I tell you, you can't tell anyone. No one is supposed to know and if I tell you it may put her in even more danger."

"Kid, who would I tell?" She smiles slightly.

"Okay." I say taking a deep breath. "The Officials took her because, because she's The Delusion."

Her eyes go wide and she covers her mouth with a shaky hand. She stands and walks over to the other side of the room.

"What exactly does she look like?" She whispers.

"She has blonde hair and really bright green eyes." I say. "Why?"

"What's her name?" She says reaching into a drawer.

"Her name is Aaliyah." I answer.

"Oh my god." She whispers.

She puts her hand over her chest.

"Brie, are you okay? What are you holding?" I ask.

She hands me a rectangular photo. On the photo, a young man and woman both with brown hair and blue eyes, sit on a porch swing holding someone. A baby. A baby with blonde hair and bright green eyes.

"I am Brilee Scott." She says.

"So that means-" I start.

"Aaliyah is my daughter. I am her mother."