12. Ambulance

Ryan Ross:

My phone buzzed loudly against the wood of the nightstand beside my bed.

"Turn it off." Jon muttered, rolling onto his side.

I reached over and groped the air blindly for my cell. "'M trying."

"Hurry up," Jon groaned and covered his head with his pillow.

I picked up the phone and squinted at the unknown number. No one in their right mind would be calling me this late unless it was an absolute emergency.

"Hello?" I croaked into the speaker.

"Ryan," came the slurred voice. "It's Brendon."

I sat up and flicked the lamp on, which caused Jon to curse under his breath. "Brendon, how did you get this number?"

"I know some guys." I could almost hear Brendon's grin. "But how I got this number is not important."

I strained my ears to sift through the background noises. I could pick out a woman's laughter and the sound of clinking classes.

"Where are you Brendon?" I asked, running a hand over my face.

"At a bar a few minutes off campus." Brendon shouted. "Jack and I wanted to see how many free drinks I could get because of my 'condition.' We were not disappointed."

That would explain the volume and the slur of his words.

"Where's Jack?"

Brendon sighed. "The little bitch left. Something about not being able to show up half-drunk to an early class."

"How are you getting home?" I sung my legs over the side of the bed.

"Well I tried calling Patrick and Joe; but Patrick is really behind in one of his classes and Joe is helping. But I'm 99.9% sure they're just using that excuse to cover up that they're fu-"

"So you need a ride?" I interrupted his rant.

"It would appear that I do." Brendon chuckled. "Would you be up for giving me one at this hour?"

I pulled on my Converse. "Yeah, just sit tight."

"It's not like I'll be walking anywhere, anytime soon." Brendon scoffed.

I froze, halfway to the door. "Oh God, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that-"

Brendon laughed. "It's all good."

"Asshole." I murmured and grabbed my car keys.

"Well, you are what you eat." Brendon's laugh echoed as he ended the phone call.

I shoved my cell into my pocket and pulled on my university hoodie.

"You're really going to pick him up?" Jon asked sleepily.

I nodded, yanking the hoodie down over my head. "He's drunk and stranded at a bar, he can't exactly drive; so he needs a ride."

"It's two in the morning." Jon informed me.

I opened the door. "I know."

"Don't bring him back here." Jon rolled onto his back and fell asleep.

"I won't."

Joe Trohman:

Patrick rested his head against my shoulder. "I feel horrible."

"Come on, 'Trick." I ran a hand through his hair. "We can't always come to Brendon's aid when he needs us."

He looked up at me. "Yes, but we lied to him."