Chapter 21: Renew The Beginning

Conan rubs his cheek and groans as he looks into my angry eyes. He removes his hand from his face, exposing the bright red mark I had left behind. He exhales as he stands up straight.

"I deserve that..." Conan states.

My eyes soften as tears start to stream down my cheek. I wrap my arms around his neck and silently cry. He is in shock for a moment at my sudden change of emotions, but then he slowly wraps his arms around my waist, holding me to him.

"Why... why are you hugging me..?" He whispers.

"Because I'm just so tired of running and being alone..." I cry. "I'm so sorry--"

"Shh, it's not you who needs to be apologizing." Conan hushes. "All of this is my fault..."

I pull away from him and wipe the tears from my eyes. The rain begins to calm down and we stand there, soaking wet and looking at one another, unable to determine what the future holds for us. I cross my arms tightly over my chest in a nervous manner as I look away from him.

"You need to know why I left," I say. "I--"

"Delilah, I know why you left." Conan interrupts. "Part of it is because of me, I know that, but I know the main reason is because of what went down with the warrior from Alpha Caitriona's pack."

"So you know I killed him then?"

He nods and I sigh, "It was out of self-defense, he attacked Roze and I. I don't know what he was doing on another pack's land or why I buried him. I panicked! I had to leave."

"Leaving made you look guilty, Delilah." Conan states.

"And I am! I killed that man!" I yell. "Alpha Caitriona would demand my head on a stake, what was I to do?"

"You could have come to me."

"Then what?" I question. "She would declare war and even more people would die."

Conan holds my hand and sighs. He looks up at me, his green eyes staring into my own brown ones. My heart beats faster as he cups my face gently with his free hand. I lean into his touch and give a small smile.

"What do you want to do now?" He asks.

I take in a deep breath as I ponder over my answer.

"I need to face the music, Conan," I say. "It's time for me to come home..."

My eyes snap over to a woman carrying a black umbrella. I retract my hand from his own when I instantly recognize it was Elle once she was closer. She angrily glares at Conan not noticing me at first.

"There you are!" She yells. "What the hell is the matter with you?! Have you just been standing outside in the rain this entire time?!"

"Geez mom, relax." Conan jokes.

Elle groans and rolls her eyes as he laughs at her. Her attention suddenly shifts to me. She looks at me with shock as she is unable to think of what to say next.

"Uh... Hi." I awkwardly say.

"Delilah, I didn't think I would be seeing you here... or anywhere for that matter." Elle speaks.

"I didn't think I would be seeing a lot of people here either, but someone once told me I couldn't run from my problems, that they would always find me." I respond.

Elle nods and gives me a small smile. She closes her umbrella once she realizes the rain has stopped and held it at her side.

"We should get back to the gala before you both freeze to death out here." Elle states.