03 • Judgement

» ιғ yoυ are ѕιlenт aвoυт yoυr paιn, тнey'll ĸιll yoυ and ѕay yoυ enjoyed ιт «

—Zora Neale Hurston

°°°

Chapter Three

After Cromwell had thrown him one last revolted glare and stormed away with Hunter following behind her, Asa let his muscles relax and cursed under his breath.

Which brainless disciplinary head did not listen to two sides of a story? The one that worked at his high school, apparently.

He was going to have a time explaining this to his mother. God knew how many times his thoughtlessness and brash attitude had landed him in detention over the past few years. The only reason they didn't resort to expelling him from the goddamn school was probably because his father was on the school board. There was also the fact that Asa was an asset to them, what with him winning the all-state swimming championship last year for the under-eighteen category.

Hell, the first reason was most definitely the only thing this school thought mattered about him anyway.

Needless to say, Asa was in a pretty shitty mood for the rest of the day, scowling at anyone who even so much as made eye contact with him.

By the time lunch rolled around, his mood had only worsened along with the pain in his gut where Hunter had attacked him with his head. Asa was quite certain there was a bruise forming.

He didn't finish thinking it when he rounded a corner and somebody ran into him.

Somebody short.

As in, this somebody's head was low enough to knock into his bruising stomach, sending a flare of pain up his entire body, making him hiss and recoil.

“Watch where you're going, asshole,” he ground out through gritted teeth, waiting for the flash of pain to fade away from his abdomen.

“Excuse me?” a girl's voice said and the venom in her tone made him look up at her wearily. He wasn't in the mood for a fight.

“You don't pull a goddamn Usain Bolt around a bend in the hallways, ” he glared. “The person on the other side can't see you, genius!”

She looked thoroughly unimpressed, and her hazel eyes — which Asa found was hard to look away from — flashed with annoyance. “Listen here, Ace or whatever the hell your name is —” Asa realised she was probably, no, definitely, a new student. “— I've heard enough on my first day here to know the kind of tool you are. And maybe the entire student population here is okay with Mr Popular walking them over but I'm not that girl, alright? I don't take bullshit. From anyone.”

Asa was staring at her, completely discombobulated and at an utter loss for words as she shot him one last glare and stomped away.

What the actual heck?