||Book Earth||Chapter2: The Headmistress

Zaamin was hanging upside down from a tree branch, while Almaas was sitting in it's shade, reading a book. It was just another bright, shiny, and boring day in the small town.

"What are you reading?" Zaamin asked.

"The story of Omashu."

"What's it about?"

"Are you joking? You are an earth bender and you should know this."

"Well, obviously I don't, so tell me what it is?"

"It's the story of two lovers who became the first earthbenders by observing badgermoles and creating a great labyrinth that only they could navigate in order to meet secretly as their respective villages didn't approve of their relationship." Almaas told him in one breath as if she had learnt every word by heart.

"That's pretty clever. Are you done reading it?"

"I am reading this the third time."

"That's great then. Let's do something else."

Zaamin sat upright on the branch and with a movement of hands and almost no effort, he was able to form a staircase out of mud. He quickly hopped down and restored earth in it's original shape.

"I like the way you earthbend."

"Thanks."

"I wish I could too."

Zaamin sat down beside his sister. He knew her longing to be an earth bender ever since she was small. When she saw himself bending, she tried many times but to no avail. Maybe she was somehow a bender of another element or maybe, she was just a non-bender after all...

"Why are you so keen on being a bender?" He asked her.

"Because benders are cool."

"That's not true."

"Yes it is. You are a bender and you are cool."

Zaamin laughed at his sister's simplicity. "It doesn't work like that. A person can be 'cool' irrespective of whether he or she is a bender or a non-bender. Mum is a non bender but i think she's pretty cool and as much as I hate to say this, you are cool too. So, your argument is invalid."

"You think I am cool?"

"I think you are way more than cool." Yaqut said.

Zaamin and Almaas turned their heads to see Yaqut standing behind the tree.

"Hi" Almaas said softly.

"Since how long were you standing there?" Zaamin asked.

"Just came. I was busy helping dad in the shop."

"Have a seat." Almaas said, tapping the ground beside her.

"No will do. There's someone to meet all of us. We are supposed to go meet them right now."

"Who is it?"

"Some people are visiting us from a school near Ba Sing Se. They saw our academic performance and have come to offer us an opportunity to study in their school."

~~~~~

Sounds of chatting and laughter could be heard when the three of them reached the siblings' house.

"–ah yes, yes. I have sent for them. They will be coming any moment now. Please have some more of the cabbage cookies." Zaamin could hear his mom talking with whoever was inside, not talking, almost bribing them with her cooking, possibly to increase his chances of admission in their school.

The three glanced at one another, nodded, and silently stepped in front of the doorway.

The chatting stopped. The three of them stood in front of a group of three people, one of them was his mother, other two were probably the people from school.

"Oh, you came early." His mother got up, walking towards him. "Come kids, introduce yourselves."

Yaqut went first.

"Good morning everyone. I am Yaqut" he said, standing upright as if he was in army.

"Good morning , I am Zaamin" he said, standing absolutely straight just like his friend.

"Hello, my name is Almaas." She said confidently but softly.

"Good. Now, this is Chief Mako San, former police Commissioner and present member of White Lotus" she said while an old man, possibly in his 70s or 80s stood up from the couch and gave a slight bow. He must have been really good looking in his younger days, Zaamin thought.

"This is Miss Komuro. She is the head of administrative office in Ba Sing Se  Sato School." As she said this, a young woman with her brown hair tied in a bun stood up, glanced towards all of the children but didn't bother to give the slightest nod.

A sound of creak came from behind them and the whole room's attention was drawn to the old woman who was now emerging from the washroom, gently wiping her hands on the towel hung on the hook in the wall.

She was old, probably also in her 70s. Though people in her age would be bedridden, she stood straight and had a peaceful aura around her. Zaamin noticed that she, too, was well maintained with her wrinkles and grey locks. She saw everybody looking at her and smiled.

"I see everyone has already introduced themselves. Well, I am Asami Sato, the headmistress of the Sato school and it's a pleasure to meet you."