Saturday's Shopping Spree

Jenna woke up the next morning. ‘Saturday, at last’ she thought. She looked over at her clock. It was 7:27. She laid in bed for a bit longer. She took another five minute cat nap. She woke up again and rolled out of bed. She walked out of her room and slowly knocked on Nico’s door.

“Nico... you up?” she asked through the door.

“Ya...” he mumbled in reply.

She opened the door and sat on the bed.

“Morning… Want some coffee? I can smell it from here...” she said.

Their parents and Nico love coffee, and Jenna likes the smell, but not tasting the drink itself.

“Coffee? Yum!”

Nico jumped out of bed and went to the kitchen. Jenna sluggishly followed. She heard a loud ‘Good morning!’ come from the kitchen, shouted by Kiara. As Jenna walked in, she saw donuts on the counter.

“Oh my geesh! Thanks mom!” she said. “Sorry about last night, not… remembering your.. erm… birthday..” Kiara replied, “But here’s a sprinkled donut for you! Happy belated birthday, love”. Kiara gave an empty hug to Jenna.

Nico began to sing. “Happy belated birthday to you, happy belated birthday to you, happy belated birthday dear Jenna, happy belated birthday to you!” Kiara clapped rapidly.

“Yay! Yay!” she also said.

Nico then asked her,

“So, what do you want to do for your ‘birthday’, JJ?”

She rolled her eyes and replied, “A: Please don’t call me JJ, like, ever, and B: I don’t know, maybe…” she thought for a moment, “somewhere... like... downtown? The mall?”

Kiara replied,“Alright, but we have to get daddy up.”

Kiara still called Carl ‘daddy’ for them, even though they don’t appreciate it much anymore. Nico went into Carl and Kiara’s room.

“Hey.. Dad? Dad! Come on! It’s almost 8 o’clock and we gotta go!”

“Go where? Why? Ugg….”

“To celebrate Jenna’s birthday a little bit late. You forgot it didn’t you?!”

“What...? Oh, no! Of course not!... Well, maybe..”

“I swear! Why are you such a horrible father to her?!”

“Jeez, Nico! Let me get dressed ok!”

“Ok, but if you’re not out in 15 minutes, I’m coming in here and checking on you”. Nico left the room and closed the door behind him.

“He’s getting up” Nico told them with a sigh. “Get ready.. We’re leaving soon”

Jenna went to her room to get into some comfy clothes. She put on a purple and black flannel, some skinny jeans, another beanie, red Vans, and a diamond ring. She picked up her book, went into the living room, sat on the couch, and read.

    “Do you not want your birthday donut? I can eat it for you!” She heard Nico say

    “No!” she said jumping off the couch and snatching the donut from his hands. He laughed.

“I was only joking, lil sis”

“Ok, well, I happen to like my donuts, thank you very much!”

“Alright, alright! Enjoy your precious sprinkled donut”

Jenna walked back into the living room to eat her donut while reading. After a moment Nico went into Carl’s room again. He saw that he was lying in bed, eating candy, shirt on but not buttoned fully and pants half on.