CHAPTER 17-ONCE AND FOR ALL

Piper's POV:

We were all able to sneak into the basement without waking Weasel. I turned on the light and Sarah turned to Jack.

"You've been living here?" She asked.

"Shh," Jack told he gently, "They're right above us."

"Weasel catches us in here, we're all in the slammer," I muttered before ripping the sheet off the press.

Denton looked at in in amazement and said, "Alright! A Platen press. Looks like old man Pulitzer never threw anything away."

"Is it going to work?" David asked.

"It better, we have a deadline," Denton told us and set us to work, showing each of us how to do a job.

"This is the story you wanted to write well tonight is the night that you can," Denton sang.

"Just get this done and by dawn's early light you can finish the fight you began," I sang.

"This time we're in it to stay," David sang.

"Think about seizing the day," Sarah added.

"Think of that train as she rolls into old Santa Fe," Jack sang. "Tell her I'm on my way."

We finally finished printing and began tying up stacks just in time as the Newsies had begun to arrive to circulate.

"See old man Pulitzer snug in his bed

He don't care if we're dead or alive

Three satin pillows are under his head

While we're begging for bread to survive

Joe, if you're still counting sheep

Wake up and read 'em and weep

You've got your thugs

With their sticks and their slugs

Yeah, but we got a promise to keep

Once and for all

Something tells me the tide will be turning

Once and for all

There's a fire inside me that won't stop burning

Now that the choices are clear

Now that tomorrow is here

Watch how the mighty will fall

For once and for all!"

Denton, Jack, David, Sarah, and I climbed out of the window with the last of the papes.

"It's awfully nice of Mr. Pulitzer to let us use his press," Denton said.

Jack laughed and replied, "Yeah I just hope I get the chance to thank 'im for it someday."

I rolled my eyes and stuffed my bag with papes and carried another bundle on my back.

"Y'all get movin', I'll cover Brooklyn," I told them, "Meet you at the square."

I ran off towards Brooklyn, passing papes on the way. When I got to the Brooklyn Lodge I woke up the boys and told them the plan.

Spot was reading over the pape when one of his boys shouted,

"So afta youse and Jack both turn Scabber, you expect us to jump right back into the strike and trust ya, and distribute these flyers to workin' kids?"

I glared at him and put a hand on my cane.

"Yeah! Because dis ain't 'bout just Newsies no more! Dis strike gave a voice to kids who were told they didn't 'ave one! Now do what you want but I'm doin' my job and Carryin' the Newsie Banner. But I can't do it alone, I need your help," I said and looked around the room. "So what do ya say? Carryin' the Banner?"

Spot looked at his boys and nodded before they all shouted together, "CARRYIN' THE BANNER!"

I grinned and ran out onto the streets and began distributing the Newsie Banner. Spot was right beside me and kissed my cheek.

"That was pretty great talkin', some of the boys are warmin' up to ya," Spot told me, "Made me wonder... if you'd consider comin' and stayin' in Brooklyn when dis is all over?"

I looked at him in shock and then grinned and kissed his cheek.

"When dis is all over you'll have ta deal with my brudder," I told him cheekily before runnin' off. "Come on, Conlon, we got work to do!"

Spot rolled his eyes and smirked, runnin' after me and passin' out the Banner.

"This is for kids shining shoes on the streets

With no shoes on their feet everyday

This is for guys sweating blood in the shops

While their bosses and cops look away

This is to even the score

We ain't just newsies no more

This ain't just kids with some pie in the sky

This is do it or die

This is war!

Once and for all

We'll be there to defend one another

Once and for all

Every kid is a friend

Every friend a brother

Five thousand fists in the sky

Five thousand reasons to try

We're going over the wall

Better to die than to crawl

Either we stand or we fall

For once

Once and for all!"

I ran over to Spot and the boys at the docks once I ran out of papes.

"Everybody out?" I asked and they all nodded.

"Then what are we waitn' 'round for? We got a rally to be at," I said with a grin and they cheered.