Without A Doubt

Derek

"So basically, we can create a system of sorts." John started as he paced back and forth. "We give you about 25% of what we found, like food or ammo, and you give us weapons and armor."

"Why 25%? That's so little." Maria disagreed.

"The people who scavenge for this stuff risk their lives. Besides, you basically have a whole military base here. Sparing some guns and military gear won't kill you. It looks like you need ammo, which we can supply along with food."

Maria furrowed her eyebrows and started to think. She rested her chin between her thumb and finger, then uncrossed her legs and stood up. "Fine. You have a deal. But also, if we are ever in need of assistance, we ask that you help. The same goes for us. You can contact me with this." She handed him an extra radio. "We're channel 15, frequency 27.13500. Don't lose this because if you do, you're not getting another one."

John accepted the radio and put it on his waistband. "That concludes our meeting then. I'm sorry to cut the reunion short but we gotta get back to our place and make sure we have everything for you guys."

Stella looked upset and gave Violet and Riley a long hug before letting them go. I dapped John up, then gave Angelo a solemn nod. He returned the gesture and we escorted our old friends back to their helicopter. They got in one by one but just as John went to enter, Hazel stopped him and asked the lottery winning question.

"Where the fuck did you get a helicopter?"

John laughed and replied, "We have our ways. We'll see you all soon."

With a wave goodbye, John closed the chopper door, then their pilot prepared to take off. The chopper blades whirred and huge gusts of wind were blown into our faces. The helicopter got off the ground then flew over the blue waters.

Maria went to the quarantine zone to check on the patients. I joined her to check on Star. Hazel went with Alessandra to the medical tent to check on WTV2 and see if it was the cause of the infection. Stella decided to play with the remaining children in the play area.

I put on the mask to prevent the infection from spreading and was greeted with an unpleasant sight and scent as I walked into the contaminated area. I gagged, swallowed the rising bile coming up my throat, and made my way to Star's room while Maria helped the doctors distribute vaccines. I opened the door to her room and saw her sitting up on the bed. She looked at me with her sick eyes and pale brown skin and smiled.

"I thought I would be okay enough to sit up but I guess I was wrong." She said as I helped her lay back down.

"You shouldn't be sleeping with your glasses on." I noticed.

"Fuck you Derek. I'm gonna die soon anyway so why should I care?"

"Don't say that. You'll make it through this."

"You sound like every person that promises a cancer patient they'll live when everybody knows that cancer is gonna kill them faster than any torture method out there."

"Star, you don't have cancer. I don't even know if that shit's still around but that's besides the point. The point is, you're gonna be fine. Hazel's gonna make a new vaccine that- wait... The wiz touch! How the fuck could I forget about that?!"

I rushed towards the door and ran out before Star could object to the idea. I practically leaped to the medical tent and startled Hazel as I ran inside.

"Quick, Hazel where's the wiz touch?" I panted.

"Shit Derek you scared me." She started reaching in her bag. "What do you need it for anyway?"

When she pulled out the vial and needle, I replied, "It's for Star. Now please give it to me."

Hazel placed the items in my hands, then I ran right back out of the tent and headed towards the quarantine zone. I quickly put the mask on and made my way back to Star's room. I closed the door behind me then stood beside Star.

"I got the wiz touch. Give me your arm." I ordered.

Star lazily threw her arm to the side and I grabbed it. I extracted the liquid from the vial and put the needle into her wrist. She winced, I apologized, then injected it inside of her bloodstream.

I hope this works... I thought to myself.

"You feeling any different?" I asked nervously.

"I mean, I still feel like shit." Star replied.

"Damn it." I muttered. "I'm not sure how long it takes to work but I'm hoping it fights off whatever is making you sick."

Alessandra walked in the room and called me over. I squeezed Star's hand and followed her out.

"Hey babe, what's up?" I asked while closing the door behind me.

"We need to talk." She said sternly.

"Huh? What's wrong?"

"I'm not trying to sound like an overprotective bitchy girlfriend, especially during this apocalypse but I can't help but notice that you and Hazel seem to be having these very intimate like moments. Do you mind telling me what's up with that?"

"We're just friends. She cut herself again and I comforted her. It may look like her and I are a thing, but we're not. Besides, I don't have time to cheat and I wouldn't. I love you, remember?"

"I know its just that...I guess I'm jealous. And I'm sorry Derek but its how I feel."

"Don't think that honey. You're all I want, and I know this shit is happening around us but you're all I think about. You're a beautiful girl, and I'm glad we fell for each other when we did. I didn't want to start a relationship with anybody, especially with a girl that wanted to blow my brains out on the first day. But getting with you was the best decision I've made since I joined Gunther. I'm in love with you, Aless. Nobody's gonna take your place."

Alessandra broke down crying and I pulled her close. I rested my chin on her head then held her tighter.

"I love you princess."