III. The Blacksmith

Aldenia's horse, Syndara, was an average sized chestnut mare with a saddle that was able to sit two people. Though, being the larger of the two of us, the saddle really felt like it was meant for one. Syndara didn't seem to mind too much, however, Aldenia was quite against me being able to hold onto her to keep my balance, meaning the whole way was me trying to not fall out of the saddle. Frankly, I didn't see what the big deal was, but she was more than firm on the matter. I was just grateful that the town felt to be no more than a five minutes' ride.

When we arrived, Aldenia placed some coins into a stable keeper's hands and tied the reigns to a post. I kept my hood up, thankful the day was cool enough for it, but it only seemed to cause strangers to gaze my way.

"It's a small place around here," My companion explained. "Newcomers, while not treated with upfront hostility, are uncommon and therefore treated very warily by the nearby folk."

"Are you new as well?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No, a few friendly faces. Since you're with me you shouldn't have any trouble, but it would be best to get you into some normal attire as soon as we can."

I looked down at myself. For one I didn't have on any footwear, and the dusty white pants stood out against the deep brown cloak. "I'd have to agree on that," I muttered, catching people looking at me.

"Onward then."

We walked past the town entrance and I could see why we had left Syndara outside the town's gate. The marketplace within was small, to begin with, and even a medium sized crowd looked like it would cause issues with getting through. Various vendors yelling about their prices and wares filled in with those browsing made the place loud and lively in the high sun. Gleaming pieces of armor and swords larger than my body lined stalls, places with fresh baked goods, one stall selling new horse saddles – it was all one large sight to take in. I kept close to Aldenia as she took lead to a small shop that was accessed through an alleyway. Without having had known it was there, I'd had missed it for sure. A few higher windows could be seen to let in light, and only a small sign that one had to approach to see marked its entrance. Following Aldenia closely, I had to turn my shoulders just to squeeze through the tight space.

"My guild has a deal with the merchant here, so buying is very cheap. I should be able to get a few extra things here as well."

"Wait, did you say a guild?"

Much to my irritation, she simply ignored me and walked in the door. I glanced up at the sign that read "The Dragon's Fang," with a frown.

"Strange," I remarked aloud, before venturing inside. The sunlight coming in through a small window showed the dust that filled the air, and an assortment of blades, bows, arrows, and other miscellaneous objects reflected what little light the place had. I had to stand there for a moment to allow my eyes to adjust to the dim light. The faint noise of pinging rang through the shop from somewhere else. Large pieces of leather lined random places on the walls, each one having a different altercation to it. Leather armors, I was assuming.

"Denrick, you in here, mate?" Aldenia called out, walking up to a small wooden counter.

"Aldenia?" A fairly gruff voice replied from behind a curtain towards the entrance we walked in. "That you, lass?"

Not a moment after, the pinging sound stopped and a man that could have been no older than twenty-five walked out. He had a scruffy beard and his arms were large despite his shorter size. He was just under my height, yet seemed to wield a presence that made him seem much larger. All that was taken down the minute you looked in his eyes. They held a warm, friendly glow that made me feel like even I could crack a smile in my nervous situation.