Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

(4)

J O S H • P O V

My phone read that it was six in the morning when I rolled over in bed and plucked it from the side table. My alarm had yet to go off and the sun was just starting to appear through the gap in the curtains. Before I got up, I thought back to yesterday afternoon when I had kissed Marley. I hadn't planned on it. But I was glad that I had.

I thought about the way she had shared such a personal story with me. Her honesty had been so refreshing. Not to mention how strong she was to stay true to herself, despite the people around her, treating her like shit for it. It just made me like her even more. True, I had only known her almost a week, but I wanted to know her more.

I wanted to hear her talk about her interests, I wanted to see her smile and that sweet blush. I wanted to stare into those bright blue eyes that could draw me in, captivating me like nothing else ever had before.

I got out of bed and had a shower, actually finding myself eager to get to school. After the shower I finished up dressing and ran some product through my hair. As I was about to head out of the bedroom, my phone started to ring. My parents caller I.D displayed on the screen with a request to accept a video chat. I tapped answer and held out the phone in front of me. Mom and Dad appeared.

"Hey honey!" Mum waved. She was sitting up in bed with her silk designer, button up PJs on. Dad was dressed for work.

"Hey guys," I smiled.

Dad nodded and adjusted the tie on his suit which no doubt cost him the same price as an expensive car.

"How's things going over there? Enjoying school? Catching up with all your old friends?" Mum fired her questions at a rapid pace and I laughed at her enthusiasm.

"Things are great Mum. Yeah, it's been good seeing everyone again."

"So glad to hear hun, we miss you!"

"Are you behaving for your Aunt and Uncle? Helping around the house and all that?" Dad added.

"Miss you too and yeah Dad, of course."

"Don't forget that you're coming over next month for my birthday okay!" Mum reminded, pointing her manicured finger at me. "I'll send you two tickets, bring Blake if you like. Or whoever else?"

The thought of spending the weekend in Australia with Blake made me scowl. Marley came to mind then. Appearing like a bright thought. Would it be crazy to ask her to go with me? Probably. I really didn't know her that well. I couldn't just ask her to go to Australia and meet my parents. She would think that I'm insane.

I pushed the thought to the back of my head and decided to leave it for a while and see how things developed before I asked her something like that.

"Sounds good Ma," I said. My mothers eyes began to nervously dart for a moment before she cleared her throat to speak again.

"Have you talked to Angie at all hun?" She quietly questioned and my mood instantly plummeted south.

"Did you really have to bring her up?" I snapped. "I came here to get away from her."

"Joshua Baker, honestly," my mother scolded. "She's hurting too! I raised you better than this."

I rolled my eyes and let out a deep breath. "I gotta get to school!" I hung up the phone without waiting for a response.

I loved my mother but there were times where I wished she wasn't so obsessed with image and the fantasies that she conjured up in her mind. I pushed my phone in to my pocket and headed out in to the kitchen where Blake was standing at the sink, rinsing his breakfast bowl.