Chapter 17

Zach's POV

Surprisingly, things with Stephanie weren't as awkward as I expected.

We were just secretly going to take a walk at night. I mean, no one besides other ghost kids could see us.

She, for some reason, has caught my attention since she introduced herself.

"So, Steph, you hanged your family. How did it feel?" I asked, curiosity taking over.

She smiled softly, looking at me. "Well, it felt great at that point. I actually still don't regret it."

I nodded and smiled. "Well, I didn't finish my film so I didn't get to kill anyone, only my father."

"Why did you want to be chosen?" She asked and continued to look at me.

"I wanted to prove that I was stronger and smarter than Dylan, my brother. I mean, I did anything to prove it. I honestly hated my family," I explained.

"Was there a reason to hate them?" she asked, softly.

I sighed softly. "Well, my father was abusive, he put my brother in the emergency room once. My mother never did anything to defend us. Well, my brother was weak, I saw myself better than him." I explained.

She looked at the ground and back at me. "Wow, that must have been really tough, but I'm glad you are still here even if you didn't finish your film." she smiled softly.

I looked at her, with a soft smile. "Thank you, Stephanie. I actually am glad as well," I replied.

She continued to smile, looking directly into my eyes. "You are a really interesting boy. Something about you caught my attention when I met you," she said.

I looked back into her eyes with a soft smile. "I wonder why is it that you caught my attention when I first met you," I said.

She smiled and nodded softly. "I'm wondering that as well. I mean, no other ghost kid caught my attention like you did," she said softly.

I continued to smile. "Maybe because a ghost kid that didn't finish his film can catch any other's attention," I said, chuckling softly.

She looked at me, still. "That is not what I meant. You catch my attention in a different way," she said softly.

I raised an eyebrow lightly. "Like in what way do I catch your attention?" I asked.

"I can't explain it, Zach. I can't," she said, looking away from my eyes for a little.

I sighed and nodded softly. "Well, whatever it is, I won't pressure you to tell me anything, its okay," I replied softly.

She looked back at me and smiled softly. "I will tell you as soon as I figure it out," she replied.

I nodded and smiled softly. "Alright, Steph." I replied softly.

She continued to smile, looking at me. "Well, I can't help it anymore," I heard her say softly.

I closed my eyes lightly as she gently placed a kiss on my cheek. I opened my eyes softly.

"Why did you do that for?" I asked, softly.

She chuckled softly and put a finger against my lips. "Shh," she shushed me softly.

I smiled and nodded softly. For some reason, I didn't know how I was feeling.

I kept smiling as I looked at her. Her smile was contagious.