Dresses and Dinner

"Well the colors of the wedding are yellow and turquoise- light and colorful." Laurina explained moving from rack to rack trying to find my "perfect" dress. "How about this one? It would look so pretty on you and not to mention, I could probably find the same dress in my sister's size. Lena would love it!"

"You're kidding, right?" I raised an eyebrow at the yellow dress, disgusted by the ruffling on the shoulder sleeves and at the bottom. Apart from that, the dress looked like it was meant for a three year old to wear while taking pictures with the Easter bunny.

"No, isn't it lovely? If I'm not mistaken the color is the same pale yellow of the Nemesias that will be in my banquet."

I tilt my head, further examining the dress, wondering at what angle it would look decent. Eventually I shook my head when all I kept picturing was a toddler wearing it while messily eating chocolate.

This is Laurina's big day. Not mine. And I need to make my dad happy. With a sigh I take it and amble off to the dressing room to try it on.

After stripping and wiggling into the dress, I stand at the mirror and size myself up.

"Perfect!" I hear Laurina screech at the sight of me in the dress. Every excuse I could think of to not wear it comes to mind but I can't let them leave my lips. I'm too busy trying to figure out how I'll ease Jared's suspicions... I know him and he won't let this go until he's squeezed every little truth out of me.

"Now, do you like it? It's okay if you don't, we can find a new dress with no trouble."

Unlikely seeing as we've been in here for hours! I try on a dress, she doesn't see the vision, she apologizes, she sees another clothing rack filled with gowns, I try on a dress. That's been the cycle and after having me try on over twelve dresses she finally likes this one. If it only takes me fibbing to leave this store, I didn't hesitate to nod at her reflection through the mirror before adding, "I like it."

"Great! Now you can take it off. I'll meet you at the register." I obeyed doing a mental happy dance. Freedom so close I can taste it

As I made my way to the register I noticed she had gotten two more dresses, the same as mine, for her sister and best friend.

The lady at the cash register was young, maybe in her late twenties. "Your total will be two thousand seventeen dollars and forty-three cents. Will you be paying with cash or card?" She spoke in a smooth polite tone, a small smile playing around her mouth.

Wait... how much? For three dresses that would've probable stayed in the store until the store itself closed down? That's unbelievable.

"Aw, actually that's a good deal for designer, also this includes complementary tailoring which I may need for Lena and Sie." Laurina explained while passing over a credit card. I guess that thought was audible. "Debit, please."

After she received the receipt and our dresses were covered with plastic and on hangers we made our way to her car. I start to wonder where she collected two thousand dollars to just blow on dresses- believe me when I say we are not rich. Granted, we aren't poor either but that's a good chunk to blow. I guess maybe I'd know more about her profession if I made a point to connect with her. I made a mental note to ask about her job when she isn't dropped a ridiculous amount of money on something.

"I don't know about you but I'm starving, I'll call Derek and get him to meet us at Applebee's. Maybe you should call one of your friends and ask if they would like to join." She was already calling my father while driving to the restaurant.

As if I'm interested in facing my friends right now.

I yank out my phone and start scrolling through my contacts. Can't call Ben for obvious reasons. Which leads me to say I also can't call Halley. I mean, if I was to invite her the sticky situation I've put myself in would eat me alive.