Chapter 1 (Something More)

• Dedicated to Judith A. Pastolero (My Grandma)

June 15, 2007.

      The streets of Toulouse lay fast asleep as the moon that shines so bright in the sky, slowly sets down. Followed by the sun that is slowly rising up in the horizon line of France, Juliette Rose Hoult slowly and quietly tiptoes to the kitchen. The kitchen still smelt like fresh, baked, sweet potato cake which Mr. Hoult had cooked for dinner last night. Juliette loved it but that she never said that to him.

She carefully and gently opened the back door of the kitchen, which basically led to the backyard. The Hoult’s backyard was yet the perfect and yet the finest thing to see. ‘A dream house’ in other words. A perfect swimming pool by the side and a sun bathing area, perfect enough to hold a barbeque party. Somewhere down the corner of the yard, grew an apple and a peach tree. Further more in the Hoult’s backyard was a tree house built specially for Juliette. Eventually the Hoult’s backyard was like the size of the whole football pitch. There was a beautiful garden of course and a high, wooden fence that surrounds and protects their territory. Not that anyone had tried breaking in.

The Hoult’s house was structured in a way that, it wasn’t so big yet it wasn’t so small. But then it was a perfect ideal house for the Hoult Family. Besides, Juliette always loved the house ever since she was small. To her, it was like a safe haven. Well not until the accident had happened. The house was usually loud and filled with laughter. A laughter that probably echoed around the house. But now? It was like a never ending silence, a clock that only broke the silence and the house looked so still as the mountains. And every late afternoon the only sound that can be heard in the Hoult’s house was a lonely song. A lonely song playing in the piano by Juliette.

     Juliette runs to the front gate of their house and opens the gates. She gets in, in a white Cayman R, Porsche car and she hugs her body for warmth. Thinking how silly it is of her to leave her jacket behind at this state.

“You can park your car beside mine. Just wait for me and I’ll come down to get my suit cases. Papa does not know of me leaving this early morning. So be as quiet as possible.” Said Juliette shaking in her seat

It was the start of another summer morning but yet it was still cold. Hunter, who looked half asleep, yawned and rubbed the sleep off his eyes.

“Why again are we leaving this early?” muttered Hunter but enough for Juliette to hear

Juliette sets floral, patterned suit cases at the trunk of the car and throws two large bags at the passenger seat.

“Because I’m running away from Papa this summer. Weren’t you listening when I called you?” scowled Juliette as she puts Phoenix on top of her bag packs

Hunter shook his head innocently and yawned again,” No, I’m afraid I wasn’t even clearly listening to what you were ranting on the phone about. All I heard was ‘Quick! Come here and pick me up! Now!’”

She rolled her eyes to herself and sighed,” Is your mom home?”

Hunter starts the engine of his car and ran his long fingers through his dark, blonde hair,” Nope only Tamara and her nanny. My mom’s filming and directing a movie for a week. So she’ll be back in Friday for sure.”

Juliette, who sunk down to her seat, breathed out a sigh of relief. She really did it. She really ran away from her dad this summer and her plans is ought to be fulfilled. Not that the summer trips she had with him were boring.

Well… let’s just say it was always disrupted and ruined by the phone calls from his company. They would usually report him back to France, U.K or U.S. But most of the time this would be because of their new car launching or financial transactional problems in the company. Juliette couldn’t blame her dad anymore since he was a businessman after all. And to him, business meant business. It also meant a lot to him since Juliette’s grandparents passed this heritage company on to him, as their only son. But then there were also times when he really crossed the line, where Juliette and Mr. Hoult wouldn’t get along at all. And the reason to this argument would be Mr.Hoult’s job most of the time.