Family

D'Artagnan was amused to find Adélie curled right up next to Athos' chest. Many a time, on cold nights, he'd been a similar position. But the sight made him think seriously about the future. He didn't want Athos to leave the musketeers, but that seemed like the likeliest outcome.

On the ride, D'Artagnan mulled this over. Athos was never one to shirk responsibility, and Adélie was a big responsibility. The young Gascon glanced over to where Adélie rode with Aramis, presumably getting another opinion on D'Artagnan's stories.

It was a relief to see the Paris lights. It was very late, and Adélie was fast asleep, leaning against Aramis. They didn't bother to wake Planchet when they arrived home. Athos carried Adélie in while Porthos took care of the horses. "Adélie can sleep in my room," D'Artagnan offered, yawning. "I don't mind sleeping on the floor."

"Keep your room, D'Artagnan," Athos told him. "I've slept many a night in a chair. I can do so again."

Too tired to argue, D'Artagnan nodded and headed for bed. He was asleep within moments of laying his head down, even with his concerns whirling around his head. When he got up in the morning, Adélie was still sleeping and his friends were around the table.

"D'Artagnan, I want you to look after Adélie today," Athos said, his tone sharp. Whatever he'd been discussing with Aramis and Porthos, it had left him in a sour mood. "Planchet is going to see about getting her some decent clothes."

Handing D'Artagnan a bowl of porridge, Planchet looked none too thrilled about his task. "What are you going to be doing?" D'Artagnan asked.

"Buckingham obviously has some nobles supporting him here in France," Aramis answered. "We're going to report what we've found out to Treville so he can warn the king. At the very least, he can look into de la Meries."

"And then what?" D'Artagnan asked. He was half afraid Athos would be telling Treville he was leaving. He didn't want to lose his friend this soon.

Athos said nothing. "I think that's still a work in progress," Aramis told him.

Nodding, D'Artagnan said no more on the subject. His friends left, and soon after, Adélie made her appearance. Tangled hair in her face, she crawled up in a chair and regarded Planchet very seriously as he set a bowl of porridge in front of her. "Thank you," she said, quiet and polite.

"Oh. You're welcome, mademoiselle," Plenchet responded in surprise. "Will there be anything else?"

"You better take Adélie's measurements," D'Artagnan reminded. He chuckled as Planchet convinced Adélie to stand on the chair and the lackey took her measurements. Adélie sat back down and ate only a little porridge. "So, are you ready to see Paris, Adélie?"

"Will I see my mother now?"

Startled, D'Artagnan blinked. "Your mother?"

"Yes," Adélie said calmly, pushing her hair out of her face. "Kitty said my mother came to Paris often. So if we're here, is my mother here too?"

D'Artagnan hesitated. "Uh, no, she's not," he answered. "Adélie, things between your mother and your father…weren't very good."

Adélie nodded. "I know," she said. "Kitty told me my mother was almost playing with my father's feelings, which wasn't very nice of her. I know my mother left me behind, but I just thought I could maybe see her, just once."

"Kitty told you a lot of things, didn't she?"

The girl nodded again. "It was just us," she said, as though that explained everything. "D'Artagnan, do I have any brothers or sisters?"

"No, you don't. At least, not that I know of," D'Artagnan answered, surprised by the sudden change of subject. "Adélie, why don't you ask Athos…your father these questions? He'd be able to answer them better than I could."

"I don't know if he likes me yet," Adélie confided. "D'Artagnan, do you have any brothers or sisters?"

"Adélie, of course Athos likes you. You're his daughter," D'Artagnan told her, ignoring the last question. "Athos…well, he just doesn't express himself like a lot of people do. And he's still trying to get used to knowing you. You were a big surprise."

A serious expression on her face, Adélie just listened quietly. "You didn't answer my question," she pointed out.

D'Artagnan almost smiled. It was as if Athos himself had spoken: Adélie was done with the subject and would speak no more about it. "No, Adélie, I don't have any brothers or sisters," he told her. "Why do you want to know?"

"Well, I asked Aramis if he would be my brother, but he said he'd be my uncle instead," Adélie answered earnestly. "Porthos is big and kinda scary. And he'd be an uncle too, I think, since Aramis is my uncle. So, that leaves you to be my brother. Will you?"

"I'd be happy to be your brother, Adélie," D'Artagnan said, touched.

"Will we see the palace?"

"If you want," D'Artagnan said. "Now, come on. We've got a lot to see, little sister."

Grinning, Adélie jumped to her feet and grabbed his hand. "I like having a brother."