( HOUSE BARATHEON )

( HOUSE BARATHEON. )

          House Baratheon was founded by Orys Baratheon, the rumored bastard half-brother of King Aegon I Targaryen, the conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms

          House Baratheon was founded by Orys Baratheon, the rumored bastard half-brother of King Aegon I Targaryen, the conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms. Orys led an army which slew the last of the Storm Kings, Argilac the Arrogant, and captured his castle of Storm's End. For his loyal service, Orys was made a lord and allowed to found his own Great House, marrying the daughter of Argilac and taking his sigil and words for his own. At just under 300 years, this makes House Baratheon the youngest by far of the Great Houses.

          House Baratheon has ruled over the tempest-wracked southeastern shores of Westeros, the area known as the Stormlands, ever since. It has produced a number of great and notable warriors, such as Ser Lyonel Baratheon, the Laughing Storm, and married into the royal House Targaryen several generations ago.

          When Robert Baratheon's betrothed, Lyanna Stark, was kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaryen, he was enraged and raised his banners in rebellion against King Aerys II, along with Lyanna's brother (and Robert's best friend) Eddard Stark. They were joined by several other houses in a civil war known as Robert's Rebellion. Robert's army smashed the royal host at the Battle of the Trident and put it to rout. The treachery of House Lannister delivered the capital at King's Landing to Robert. With Lyanna killed during the war, Robert agreed to marry Cersei Lannister in gratitude for her father's pledge of fealty.

          Robert became King and he made his brother Stannis (one year younger than him) the Lord of Dragonstone, the ancestral island stronghold of the Targaryens, and his youngest brother Renly (fifteen years younger) lord of the familial seat at Storm's End.

          Following the death of Robert and Renly, the only surviving members of House Baratheon are Stannis, his wife, and his daughter Shireen. No mention has been made in the five current novels of any surviving cousins, who might make claim to rule of House Baratheon. Robert is rumored to have fathered over a dozen bastards, but they are not considered legitimate heirs. Robert does have one acknowledged bastard, Edric Storm, whom he acknowledged because his mother was a member of the nobility. Robert had no part in raising him, instead sending him to foster at Storm's End.

          The original stag sigil used by House Durrandon had a crown, but when Orys Baratheon took the sigil for his own the crown was removed because the Baratheons were not kings under the Targaryens. The crown was only added back nearly three centuries later, after Robert deposed the Targaryens and usurped the Iron Throne.

VASSAL HOUSES

          House Connington of Griffin's Roost, House Errol of Haystack Hall, House Estermont of Greenstone, House Grandison of Grandview, House Musgood, House Peasebury of Poddingfield, House Tarth of Evenfall Hall, {House Toyne} - extinct, House Trant of Gallowsgrey, House Seaworth of Cape Wrath, House Wylde of Rain House, House Caron of Nightsong, House Dondarrion of Blackhaven, House Selmy of Harvest Hall, House Swann of Stonehelm, House Velaryon of Driftmark, House Buckler of Bronzegate, House Cafferen of Fawnton, House Fell of Felwood, House Mertyns of Mistwood, House Morrigen of Crow's Nest, House Penrose of Parchments.