Chapter One

She huffs. "Shut up, Alexander!"

"Shut up, Alexander!" he imitates. 

Her friends grin at the two bickering siblings.

Stella grins, knowing he'll imitate anything she says. "I love my older sister!"

"I love my older-" he freezes. He smirks and leans up to kiss her cheek. "I love my older sister," he says, his voice laced with princely charm.

Stella's friends fawn over him, squealing about how handsome he is. Stella has to admit, her brother is quite good-looking,  but his arrogant personality lowers that charm, for her. For a fifteen year-old, he is talented at stealing the hearts of twenty year-old women. It annoys Stella to a great extent.

It starts out like this, and eventually, she ends up here.

"Alexander!" Stella screeches. Her younger brother doesn't turn back. No one is around to help her. The raven-haired girl's friends had left hours ago and her brother, well, is her brother. A rude little brat who leaves her in the middle of a really large lake with fog surrounding her while he is sitting in their castle stuffing his face with berries. "Alex!"

She cannot swim away either. Her book would get wet, and if that happened, she would sentence her brother to Death. She sits there, rereading her book and hoping someone will pass and offer her a ride. If someone passes her and doesn't ask her if she wishes to ride with her, so be it. She won't ask anyone to help her.

Swish, swish.

The sound of paddles is faint, but crescendos as it nears her. She peers through the fog to see a small wooden boat with a white flag. The boat itself is yellow and the paddle made of plastic. A boy sits on it, seemingly uncomfortable.

Stella sits there looking at him, hoping he'll say something to her or even ask her if she wants a ride. (And still, Alexander sits in the throne room munching on berries while she is stranded in the middle of a large body of water.) He stays silent. Stella pouts but roll her eyes. He should ask her to join him. Not vice versa.

In the eerie silence, she realizes she hears him weeping along with the gentle whoosh of the paddle. She reaches her hand out to him, as if to touch him in comfort, but she cannot reach him with the distance between them. She doesn't want to speak, but her heart forces her to send a word out to try to wipe his tears.

"Excuse me," Her voice barely over a whisper. "Are you alright?"

The boy turns his head and stares into her eyes. His blue orbs are filled with hostility and accusation. This causes the princess to flinch.

She opened her mouth to speak.