Part VII: Pride

Carrie and her friends sat in the flipped car. They had crawled into the back of it, and were sitting on the side of the car. Carrie didn't bring her phone, Odessa's had died on the ride to the puppy farm and Vanessa's broke in half when it fell out of the window and the car squished it. So, they sat waiting for police to come. Thankfully, Carrie could control her powers now, so her wings were concealed and Kyulk had dissolved into mist.
"Why haven't any cars come at all during our battle, never mind now." Odessa fretted. Carrie looked around and noticed that Odessa was right, now cars had come across this usually crowded on ramp to the highway. And it was 4:00, when many people should be driving home from work.
Vanessa sat, holding the puppies. "Maybe Kyulk cast a spell or some crap,"She muttered "I wouldn't know since no one told me that CARRIE IS A FREAKING FIRE WITCH WITH SOME CRAZY PROPHECY THING!" "I told you Ness, we don't know much and we were gonna show you later." Carrie said. "Well you could have told me at your house." Vanessa pointed out. "You were busy pushing me in the car blindfolded." Carrie smiled. "True." Vanessa said, laughing. "So are we good?" Odessa asked. "Yeah." Carrie and Vanessa responded.
A half hour later, the trio had given up waiting and walked along the side of the road. They couldn't see far since fog blanketed the ground like a greyish shawl. Once on the actual highway,the girls saw cars whiz past. The fog cleared. What Carrie, Vanessa and Odessa saw was a perfectly ordinary Washington highway. Carrie spun around, followed by her friends. A lone, rickety sign warned drivers in what once might have been a bright red; "Do not enter"
"Well that makes sense." Vanessa coolly said.
They walked for twenty more minutes holding the puppies before coming to the edge of Tacoma. Seeing some restaurants and hotels, Odessa made an observation. "Carrie, you've just fought an assassin with storm powers, if I'm hungry and tired you must be dying." "I'm fine, lets go home." Carrie replied quickly. Vanessa stopped walking. "Odessa's right, you need rest. Let's go find a hotel and get food." Carrie kept walking. "I'm fine, lets go." As Carrie spoke she tripped, moving her hair and revealing a large cut of the nape of her neck, oozing an inky purple fluid. "What the hell?" Vanessa exclaimed. "Come on I have a credit card. We're staying in a hotel." Odessa helped Carrie to her feet and helped her walk to the closest hotel.
As soon as they closed the door, Odessa turned to face Carrie who was sitting on the bed. "What the hell were you thinking? You could have died!" She screamed. "I didn't want you to worry." Carrie said, plainly. "You're a great friend Carrie, but you need to let go of your pride." And with that, Odessa turned and left.
An hour later Vanessa returned to the hotel room with three burgers from the fast food chain next door. "So Dess still isn't back?" She said as she walked in. "No." Carrie mumbled. She lay on her stomach, watching TV with her hair pinned up to avoid the cut. Vanessa had Carrie drink a ton of water to flush out her system and cleaned the wound as best as she could, then asked Carrie to use her magic to heat up the wound as much as she could bear to kill any bacteria. Vanessa had been in med school before she dropped out to become an actor.
As they ate their burgers, Carrie spoke with Vanessa. "Should I take the interview? I mean, I am done being Phoenix but, I still need money. And besides, what about my fans?" Carrie ranted. "This could be some closure for ending my time as Phoenix and explain why I don't want to be Phoenix anymore." Vanessa mulled it over for awhile before saying, "I think you should. It was a good idea for you to move out of L.A and back to Washington so maybe you should keep making little changes to slowly fall out of fame."
Just as Carrie finished her food, She heard a knock at the door. Vanessa was in the shower and Odessa still hadn't come back yet, so she got up to answer, thinking it was Odessa. As she opened the door, she was faced with a blue haired girl holding a gun to Carrie's stomach.