A Fresh Start

A/N: I made this book about 2 years ago, and it has not gone through editing, or plot revision. I am still debating whether I should fix it, or create a new story entirely, which is something I haven't done in a long time on this app.🧡

16 year old Nikki packaged the last box in her kitchen and set it on the nearly-empty counter. "There mom" she said glumly. "That's the last box." She leaned on the wall, drumming her hands on the box she had just set down. "Thank you," her mom replied, then saw her glum face. "Oh, I know you are upset about moving, but you'll love Lousina." Her mom said cheerfully. "I don't know" Nikki sighed. She wasn't too excited to leave her home state, Florida, and travel across the country to a completely unfamiliar state.

Picking up her cellphone, she went to check her social media. As usual, it was filled with gorgeous instagram girls, with beauty standards so high no one could ever seem to top them. That was the good part about leaving. Maybe she'd get away from all the criticism and self-doubt. She stared at herself in the mirror. She didn't think she was very pretty, with wavy black hair and dark eyes. People taunted her about her paleness. Oh well, maybe she'd fit in. She looked around the big, familiar home one more time before hopping in the car. Holding back tears as they pulled out, she tried to laugh a little as her dad put on his usual playlist of hilarious songs. Nikki stared out the window, examiming the isolated and winding road. New friends, new school, it was all too overwhelming, like an helpless knot in her stomach. Her eyes slowly closed, and she drifted into a troubled sleep.

"Nikki?" Her mom gently shook her awake. She looked up at her mom and heart did a double take.

Instead of her mom's fair skin and kind face, she was looking at a revolting sight. Her face was molded and twisted, the pupils of her eyes swallowed in black. Claws dug into Nikki's shoulder, scarred and gnarly. A shape lay around her mother's neck, resembling a mask, but eerily similar to a real face. She saw all this for about second, then, rubbing her eyes, dared to look again. But to her surprise, her mom was back, gently smiling down at her. Shaken, Nikki climbed out of the car and grabbed her bags, steadying herself on them for a moment. The house was nice, old style, and in good shape. It was a nice blue color, with some greenery around it. Nikki's dad patted her on the shoulder with a grin. "See?" "Decent house, wonderful scenery," he said joyfully and walked to the front door.

Nikki let out a sigh and followed hin. She had always felt invisible, like a force was shielding her from the real world. Maybe moving to Lousiana was a good thing. A chance to have a new life. A fresh start.