Cancer and Detention

The sky was an inky black as Will took an empty lemonade glass from the girl beside him, gently out of her cold, curved hands

The sky was an inky black as Will took an empty lemonade glass from the girl beside him, gently out of her cold, curved hands. Hands that were too petite and blond curls that were a falsehood but he saw through it all. Even in the eyes that had been blue, the awkward humility as they'd pushed through the crowd, none of the pride the face she wore usually contained. He saw through, as though she were a light shining, burning, to be seen even from underneath the cloth that hid her. He saw her. Tessa.

    Time seemed to flop, skipping several beats of moments, minutes, maybe hours, and suddenly he was holding her. Not her the hidden figment, but Tessa as he knew her. As he dreamed of her. Brown hair breaking loose and falling around her shoulders, eyes the simple grey overcast that reminded him of the sky of home- He slid off her glove, felt her gasp, and felt the world flip once more as he began to kiss her.

"Will," a whisper, sounding from somewhere beyond his own mind.

"Will-"

    "William Herondale, is my class so very boring you think you have the right to sleep through it?"

    Will rose from sleep with the absolute, horrifying certainty of the familiar burn of 32 eyes on the back of his skull. The forth dream had hit him harder than the others. His lips even felt hot, as though he'd really been kissing. . . He cut off this train of thought rather quickly, slowly sitting up, and rubbing the slight edge of drool from the corner of his mouth in the most casual way possible. His eyes looked up to meet those of a burning Mrs. Cox.

    Will let out a long silent sigh, glancing to the scantily clad smirking cheerleader on his left, to the freckled student beside him who was sleeping as well.

    "Well," he began slowly, folding his hands across his desk, stifling a yawn. "To be completely fair, it clearly isn't an entirely unpopular opinion," he said, holding her gaze as he gestured to the snoring boy next to him.

    He knew when the class simultaneously whistled that he was a goner. But then, he had known that when he made the comment.

    ------------

    "You didn't have to come here with me," Will groused sulkily, later that day as he sat in the not-so-silent detention hall.

    "Oh, yes I did," James Carstairs replied, tracing lightly with his finger on the chipped wooden surface of the old desk. "I knew I wouldn't get the full story you promised me earlier if you sat here all afternoon. Besides, maybe I've been tired of actually leaving school at a decent hour," he said, without a hint of the grin Will knew, with annoyance, he was stifling.

They were whispering to each other across the crowded detention hall, with the skill of two students who knew how to avoid a monitor's attention.

    "Yeah, well you're wasting your time," he said sulkily, twirling a pencil between each of his fingers in turn. "I don't exactly feel like talking."