His Confession

The rustling of the trees is the only sound heard in this quiet and still night as I walked along an abandoned path, the cold summer air rippling through my skin forming goosebumps. I wrapped my arms around me and tried to warm myself through friction. A blinding light focused on me and I squinted my eyes to see where it comes from.

"Az! Is that you?" A man's voice echoed around me and the trees rustled wildly as if complaining to the noise that disturbed the silence.

"Yes, Tyler. It's me. Shut the flashlight." I called out to the shadow of a tall, lean man leaning on a pillar.

He did as I commanded and turned off the flashlight in his hand. He stood up when I got closer and offered me a mischievous smile.

"You look cute." he laughed at the pink bunny PJ's that I am wearing and I smacked him hard on the arm.

"Shut up!" I rolled my eyes. "It's the middle of the night for Christ's sake. I'm too comfortable with my clothes and too lazy to change. So why bother?"

"No need to be defensive. I was complimenting you." Tyler said.

"Oh yeah? Or making fun of me?" I snapped and rolled my eyes again.

He just laughed again and said, "No, I'm really complimenting you."

"Whatever. Let's just go." I made my way to the pillar next to the one where Tyler was leaning awhile ago and found the steel ladder  that was attached to it, leading to the platform above supported by the four pillars. On top of the platform is a large, abandoned water tank.
I climbed up the ladder and onto the landing around the water tank which is made of large metal rods stuck together and bent to encircle the water tank. When I reached the top, I rested my hands on the railings in front of me and let myself enjoy the spectacular view of the city lights.

"Will I ever stop being so amazed with this?" I asked to no one in particular when I felt Tyler's presence behind me. I turned around to face him and smiled up at him which he returned.  He moved a step closer to me and the moonlight illuminated his face just enough for me to see the worry in his face.

"You okay?" I asked him, resting a hand on one of his broad shoulders.

"I'm glad we found this place." He said, dodging my question as he walked past me and looked out the city.

"I think we should sit or we'll get spider veins. I believe we're going to have a really long night." I said and climbed another set of ladders that leads to the top of the cylindrical water tank.
I sat on its surface and Tyler followed suit, sighing as he took his place beside me.

"Hey." He whispered, "-you know the agreement right?"

"Of course. We've been on it for almost ten years now." I replied.

"Confession for a confession. Okay?"

"Yes. I know! But you have to confess first since you called for this meeting." I said, folding my arms in front of me.

"Okay. But I want you to just sit there and let me finish before you say anything. Just... listen." I nodded.

Tyler looked at me for a very long time, opened and then closed his mouth, opened again and started groaning, running his hands on his face. I placed a comforting arm around him.

"It's okay Ty." I whispered in my most soothing voice. "- Take your time. I'm here to listen."

"It's not okay, alright?" he blurted out. I was taken a back at the way he raised his voice at me and so was he. Tyler seldom raised his voice at me and I know that he immediately regrets it.

"It's weird because I'm feeling this way." he continued, "- It just came to me yesterday and all night long it's been taunting me. I can't sleep. It's troubling me." He paused and looked me straight in the eye. For an instance, his eyes, which are the windows to his soul opened and I dived deep into his many emotions bottled up inside him, struggling to come out. And as much as I want to hug him right now, I just sat there and let him continue.

"I need to get it out Az. I need to say it out loud. Get it out of my system - need to say out loud how I feel because this is driving me insane!" He exclaimed, arms flailing in front of him.

I can't help but notice his choice of words.

Its weird because I'm feeling this way.

I need to say out loud how I feel.

I took a deep breath but said nothing. Could this possibly  be the confession I've long since wanted to hear from my bestfriend, the love of my life?

"Az, I don't know if this is the right time and I don't know how I should say this but, I really have to tell you..." his throat bobbed before he inhaled deeply.

I love you, Az. The small voice in my head suggested. And I know deep in myself that I'm waiting for those words too to even argue with that small voice.

Every passing second is painstaking and suddenly, the chirps of the birds died down and there is nothing but a deafening quiet around us. For a moment, my world narrowed down to this abandoned water tank with Tyler and me. Just the both of us in our hideout.
This is it.

This is the moment my daydreams will come to life, my wishes granted and the moment where I'll finally make the confession I've long since kept to myself. The moment where we will express how we truly feel for one another and finally get together, where we really belong.
So I waited.

"Az..." he started, "- I'm going to be a father."

And my world fell apart.