Chapter 3: Challenges

How did she get into this mess..?

"So!" Kuroo smiled at the team, both hands on Mirai's shoulders. "That's what happened. Starting today, Hoshizora-san will be coming here during practices as a trial run. If she likes the position of club manager, then she joins. Simple as that."

Everyone cheered and started welcoming her, even if she was only a trial applicant. Mirai bowed deeply.

"I-I'll be in your care!" She said.

Yamamoto began crying again.

"Kuroo-san! You really are worthy of being called captain!!" He sniffed, shaking Kuroo by the shoulders. "We're gonna welcome her so well that she would want to stay! We won't let you down!"

"Alright, alright. Stop shaking me already." Kuroo told the emotional wing spiker with an annoyed frown. "And stop crying, damn it. Hoshizora-san is gonna want to leave if you keep being weird."

The tears immediately stopped flowing when Yamamoto heard this. He stood straight with his arms at his sides.

"They have such interesting personalities..." Mirai noted thoughtfully.

Once she was introduced to everyone in the team, she bowed respectfully to their coaches and apologized for her sudden intrusion. Coach Nekomata seemed to like having her around, commenting that maybe having a girl around would motivate their players more to do their best.

They all looked to Yamamoto and, sure enough, he was roaring with determination.

Lev cheerfully walked up to her and gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "You'll be great, Mirai-san!" He grinned. "I'm glad you changed your mind!"

"That's..." Mirai looked at him, then glanced at the team.

Kenma took notice but stayed silent. It was clear that she was still doubtful about the idea. He quietly walked away to get ready for practice.

"Mirai-san, watch me!" Lev shouted from the court and waved at her.

Mirai waved back as she stood next to the coaches, giving Lev a small smile of encouragement.

Kenma sighed, mumbling something about the entire practice being tiring, and tossed the ball towards Lev as he ran for the net. The middle blocker jumped and swung his arm with all his might.

Whoosh!

The ball flew passed him.

Lev landed back on the ground and looked to his left where the ball was. Slowly, he turned to look back at Mirai with a huge grin on his face. "Did you see that?! I almost had it!!" He yelled excitedly.

"Good for you, Lev." She smiled and gave a thumbs up. "Keep practicing and you'll be able to hit it no problem!"

"YEEEAAAHH!!" Lev cheered and ran back to his starting position. "One more time!"

Kenma nodded, taking another ball and preparing to toss. Everyone watched Lev repeatedly miss his spikes. He kept asking for a toss one after the other, failing each time.

Kuroo's blank expression obviously stated that he wasn't impressed by their rookie's constant flubs. "At this rate, Kenma will..." He looked towards the setter and saw the look in his eyes. Kenma was pretty much ready to give up on him.

"Another!" Lev said, stomping his foot. "I'll get the next one!"

"I don't wanna..." Kenma grumbled.

"Eh, why??"

"Because you suck."

Ouch. Well, that much was true.