cabernet | 1

author's note:
To help some readers, I will be providing you with a list of definitions of some legal terms at the beginning of a few chapters. Words will be in appearance order. The definitions are not mine, they're all from the internet.

junior partner: a partner whose participation is limited with respect to both profits and management. in other words, a junior partner is a person whose level of involvement, responsibility, risks, and rewards are comparatively lesser than that of the senior partners.

paralegal: a person trained in subsidiary legal matters but not fully qualified as a lawyer.

legal clinic: it offers free or reduced-rate legal advice and services. legal clinics can be programs established by law schools, where law students gain real-world and practical experience working for clients who do not have to pay attorney fees.

affidavit: a written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation, for use as evidence in court.

torts: a wrongful act, not including a breach of contract or trust, that results in injury to another's person, property, reputation, or the like, and for which the injured party is entitled to compensation.

-

"Olympia Woods?" The assistant calls out my name. I smile at her, take my purse and get up. You're going to be okay, Olympia. Everything's going to be alright. Breathe. I get inside the interviewer's office. "Sir, this is Olympia Woods, one of Mrs. Wilson's students." The assistant then closes the door as she leaves.

"Good afternoon, Olympia. I am Marcus Brown, junior partner at Sanders, Whitman and Lewis." He's an African-American man. Judging by the ring on his left ring finger, I believe he is married. I shake hands with him. "Sit down." I nervously smile and sit down.

"Olympia Woods, you've done your finance undergraduate degree in New York University. You're currently a first year law student at Columbia University." He looks at my CV and then at me. "What brings you here?"

"As my CV mentions it, I've worked as a paralegal at a legal clinic for the past five years and I guess it is time to step it up and work as an associate for Sanders, Whitman and Lewis." I smile at him, confident with my answer.

"As you've seen, we've received over fifty applications for this position. Why should we pick you?" He asks me, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Well, I would be willing to help the partners as much as possible. I could also work on week-ends and stay late at work. Also-" I start but Mr. Brown interrupts me.

"They're all willing to give up their lives for this job. What makes you special?"

"I'm the best at what I do." I shrug. "Ask me anything about the law, I'll have the answer. I could write reports in less than two hours. I could bring an affidavit in no time. I'm not going to bother anyone around the office. In fact, I'll be quite transparent."

"And I guess that's why Mrs. Wilson speaks so highly of you." He scoffs. Mrs. Wilson is my criminal law teacher at Columbia University.

"I'm sorry but if you're accepting me due to the fact that she's my professor, then I'd rather not apply here. I want to be accepted for my persona and my intellect." I glare at him. I almost left the office. I may come from nothing, but I'm not getting a job because another employee at the firm told the recruiter to hire me.

"Don't worry about that. Our recruitment is fair and square." He replies. I secretly laugh at his use of this expression. "Why do you want to be an attorney?"

"When I was much younger, my friends and family told me I had a lovely voice when I sang. As the years passed by, my voice's changed, and I couldn't sing anymore. So I had to find another way for it to reach people and have an impact on them, debating." I take a deep breath. "I love debating, I would do anything to win a debate." I nervously smile, "legally, though." I continue, "I might as well add that innocent people shouldn't be put to jail anymore."