TWENTY-TWO| a knife in a gun fight

I didn't sleep at all that night. I waited outside the Council room as the whole Blake family sat in prison cells. Chancellor Jaha called for an emergency meeting as they discussed how the handle the situation. They were in there for a long time. I could imagine my dad arguing for their lives, but there was no way around the law. On the Ark every broken law meant death. There were no exceptions. 

I tapped my foot against the metal floor anxiously. I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. I should have thought of something else. I should have just attacked Shumway or something so Octavia and Bellamy could have made a break for it. At least then I would be the one in a prison cell, not them.

The sound of the door to the Council room opening caused me to stand up. I watched as the Councilmen exited one by one until my dad walked out of the room. I stepped in front of him and prepared myself for bad news.

He was silent for a moment before speaking up, "They're letting Bellamy live," I let out a loud sound of relief as it felt like someone had just lifted a huge weight off of my shoulders. "But, he'll be forced to give up his position as a Cadet. He'll be lucky to even be a janitor."

"At least he'll be alive," I replied. "What about Octavia and Aurora?"

My dad gave me a sad look, "Octavia will be taken to the SkyBox, and Aurora will be floated for the crime of having a second child." The reality crushed me. Bellamy was going to lose his entire family. "I tried to save them, Harles, but there's no way around the law. I'm so sorry."

I nodded, "I need to see Bellamy."

"He should be getting released right now."

Twenty minutes later I was standing outside Bellamy's cell as a guard let him out. He looked completely defeated. His shoulders were slumped, his eyes were tear-stained. I glanced down at his knuckles and saw dried blood on them. He must have punched the wall in anger.

I didn't say anything. I just opened my arms and he welcomed my embrace. Bellamy held tight to me as tears fell from his brown eyes. I felt a pang of sorrow in my chest as I tried to soothe him, but I knew there was nothing I could say or do to ease the immense pain he was feeling inside.

Losing a mother was horrible. When my mom died, it almost killed me. I was depressed for months until I finally started getting back to normal. I had never felt such intense emotional pain and imagining Bellamy having to go through that made me feel so terrible.

"It's all my fault," Bellamy said through his tears. "I promised to keep her safe."

I rubbed comforting circles on his back, "It'll be alright," I replied. I could feel his pain. "Octavia will be alright."

"They're going to kill my mom," He didn't seem to be listening to me. "She'll be dead because of me."

I tried everything to comfort him. I brought him back to my place and laid with him in my bed. He clutched onto me, and all I wanted to do was ease his pain. I hated seeing him so depressed. I hated seeing him blame himself for everything.

It reminded me of what it was like those first few days without my mother. I was crying on and off until I physically couldn't cry anymore. My chest felt empty. I didn't feel like eating or talking or doing anything but lying in bed and missing my mom. I felt so alone and so defeated.

I didn't want Bellamy to feel alone. I wanted it to be easier for him. So, I just laid with him as he cried and was understanding of his pain. I wrapped my arms around him and let him know that he wasn't alone.

"I'll always be here for you," I said as we laid in the dark. "You're not alone in this, Bellamy. I'm not going anywhere. I promise." He nodded as I placed a kiss to his forehead.