Chapter 5

Hours passed before (y/n) was able to see Stephen. When it was time, Christine walked slowly into the waiting room.

  "(y/n). He's in recovery. He's gonna be alright. The only thing is..." Christine paused. (y/n) looked up in worry.

  "What's wrong?" She asked, taking a hold of Christine's hands.

  "His hands... They're almost non functioning. We tried to save them the best we could but there was too much damage." (y/n) took in a shaky breath, pulling her hands away from Christine's. To any other person, this would be a blessing. To Stephen, it was hell. His work required his hands. Stephen's life was made up of two things. His work and his wife.

  "Does he know?" (y/n) asked.

  "I'm sorry?"

  "Does he know, Christine? Does he know that his hands are useless now?" (y/n) snapped.

  "No. He hasn't woken up yet." Christine said, looking down in shame.

  "Take me to him, please." (y/n) said blankly, walking with Christine to Stephen's room. Christine opened the door and let (y/n) in first before following her in. (y/n)'a hands flew to her mouth when she saw her husband. His arms were attached to two metal platforms. His fingers were held together by steel pins. His face was bandaged and his eyes were closed.

  "I'll leave you alone." Christine said, placing a hand on (y/n)'s shoulder before leaving the room. (y/n) walked around to the side of the hospital bed, sitting down and stroking Stephen's hair.

  "We'll get through this, baby. I promise." She whispered.

  At the sound of her voice, Stephen's eyes opened. She noticed and tried to smile.

  "Hey, baby. How do you feel?"

  "Groggy. Sore. Are you-, What happened?!" He asked, finally noticing his hands. She tensed up.

  "They tried to fix them."

  "What did they do?"

  "Steel pins in the bones. Nobody could've done better." (y/n) sighed, holding in her tears.

  "I could've done better..." Stephen whimpered, closing his eyes and crying.