Chapter 49

3rd Person Point of View (Snape)

Snape sniffled as he continued to grade papers. His heart was heavy with guilt and regret, and his mind was swirling as he tried to piece together what was said and what should have been said. His pen flew across the pages as he graded the papers, but that wasn't what he was thinking about at all. Severus knew that he had messed up, and he knew that he should have stopped Jasmine from walking out the door. He probably would have if he was still the same person he was when this year had started. He most likely would have slammed the door and not let Jasmine leave until they either hurt each other enough that they never wanted to see the other again, or until there was nothing further to argue about.

But Severus had changed, and he knew that Jasmine just needed some time. She was already stressed as it was with carrying his child, finally going back to her classes, having people making fun of her, being with him, keeping their relationship hidden, andworrying about Voldemort. The poor girl had enough on her plate already and all he had done was just over fill it. One person could only take so much, and being pregnant on top of that was no help at all.

Snape sighed as the class slowly started to trickle in and start on their writing assignment, he was thankful that he had made this assignment a two day in class assignment and not have them starting on their potions today. Class was mostly silent, so he was able to get most of what he needed to get graded graded and he was able to try and think about what to say when he got back to his quarters. As he stood up to walk out of his classroom Minerva stood in the door way.

"You need to get to your quarters now. Filch found Percy laying unconscious on the floor just around the corner and when he went to inspect what was wrong the door to your quarters was left open. It looks like a struggle had happened, and we cannot find Miss Payne anywhere.", Minerva said with a straight face, but her voice wavered with worry.

Severus didn't say a thing as he pushed passed her out the doorway and ran down the hallway. He hoped that Jasmine hadn't been taken away, not after the fight they just had. And there was no way that he could deal with her being gone again, knowing that she was bearing his child. He was meant to protect her, and it kept seeming like he could not even do that.

When Snape finally got to his chambers about five minutes later he could see what Minerva had been talking about. The place was trashed, papers had been thrown everywhere, a chair laid in pieces of the ground, dishes were smashed, and the sink had been broken causing water to be spurting onto the floor. And that was only in the kitchen, the rest of the quarters looked the same way, the bed was overturned, the rug was bunched up and looked like someone had tried to grab it to keep from being pulled, and Jasmine's sketch book was in shreds in the corner. Severus fought back the tears that had made themselves present in his eyes as Dumbledore walked his way.

"Percy didn't get a good look at who did this, but he is most certain it was a couple of Gryffindor boys. He only saw their crests before he was knocked out.", the headmaster said as he looked around.

"Why is this happening to her, to us? Why can't she finally just be free, be happy?", Snape sniffled and balled his fist.

"Things happen for reason that are unknown, but that shouldn't be what matters. It is how we overcome the challenges and obstacles in life that matters. This is just another obstacle that will strengthen your relationship Severus. And if it was students that have taken her, she will be found in no time. All classes are to be cancelled until Jasmine is found.", Dumbledore said, resting his hand on his shoulder before walking out of the room and telling everyone else to go and round up all the students and to meet in the great hall for an announcement.