Epilogue

It took Hatter's Town a couple of weeks to return to their daily lives. Ambulances, fire fighters and police from nearby towns helped the residents who suffered a supernatural infliction. An urban legend was a sure way to attract tourists and the news. And they poured into town like leeches, wanting to know the sensational news of how a horrific ordeal took place.

No one could really get the details right. Some said the troubled Nina Woods lost the plot and went on a killing spree. Some said aliens invaded and trapped them in a dome. Whatever it took to make money and get people in. Sickening really at how people spun tales to make a few bob.

Ashley Owens shook her head at it. Dressed in black with forlorn expressions and puffy red eyes, the funeral of three took place in Eternal Rest Cemetery. It should be grey, foggy, raining at least to reflect their sombre mood. Birds sang and the sun beat down, making up for lost days as a causal breeze cooled the grieving.

An ache persisted in Ashley's shoulder as she stood beside her mother. The remains of Melissa Redding, Jordan Green and Charlie Kane were laid to rest in three plots, side by side, friends to the end. Their parents wept silently, sniffling sobs and embracing each other. Teens' dying wasn't natural. Old people die all the time and we learn to accept that, after all they got to live long lives. When the young die, it's like a robbery. Such a waste when their lives were about to start. They didn't make their 18th milestone.

With her friends buried six feet deep, Ashley hugged her mother and took a step to the side. On the other side, in a private mausoleum held the remains of the founding families. The Abbots' heavy wooden doors were open but no one came to their funeral. The Abbots were hated. Old Tobias Abbot was buried with the rest of his kin in a wall crypt, his name plate dazzled by the stain glass window. Nina's tomb stood in the middle of the mausoleum, separate from her family. It was a modest design, plain, her name was carved in a delicate script font.

Ashley stepped in, placed a good hand on the tomb. "I hope you found your peace."

Her mother coughed. Ashley placed a bunch of yellow flowers, full bloom on top of the stone crypt. She tugged at her sling, adjusting her arm position and left.

"How are you feeling?" Mum asked.

Ashley nodded. "Fine, I guess. I wish we could have done something for her."

"The town hates the Abbots' and Nina." She paused. "I know you'll get through this. You killed an urban legend. No one can be as cool as you."

"Yeah, sure I got rid of him," Ashley said. "But I don't know if I'll be able to move on. I'll have regret, deep and burning and full of what ifs. What if I stepped up sooner and had Nina's back. Melissa wouldn't be my friend but at least she'd be alive. At least all three would be alive."

"I won't hear it," she argued. "Don't you dare blame yourself. If you want to blame someone, blame this town. Blame the people who did nothing to help her. Blame Tobias Abbot for torturing his niece. I've done her post mortem."

A few people left the cemetery, flowers smothering the trios' grave. But none adorned Nina's except for the yellow ones. Ashley and her mother walked away, trying to move on with one step at a time.

Strolling past Bleakburn Woods, the trees smelled of freshly burnt wood, like it had done for two hundred and fifty years. Ashley told her mother she forgot something at the cemetery. It was a lie. Her mother walked ahead. Ashley remained at the gates, recalling her brave attempt of cornering Cyrus Jones with the help of his victims. It should have been over. But it didn't feel over. Maybe it was the paranoia talking, but Ashley's instinct told her something else. She had to check one last time.

She knew the way to that famous oak tree. The tree was deeply rooted in the history of hangings and embracing dead bodies. She arrived, the charcoal smell wafting the air. She focused long and hard on the bark. At eyelevel, the face of Cyrus Jones was fused in agony. Beside his face wavered Nina, her face etched to be smiling in delight.

Ashley smiled. A few days ago their faces sat neutral, neither one pleased. Tomorrow might change. At least Nina was having fun today.

THE END