26

BELLA COULDN'T move. She stood there, absolutely frozen as Cole's finger rested on the trigger. Her gaze was trained on Cole, whose eyes seemed drained of vibrancy and absolutely dead - it made her wonder what Mommy did to him.

"I know that you won't shoot me," Mommy stated matter-of-factly, her composure entirely relaxed.

Cole tightened his grip around the gun. "H-how do you know I won't?" he whispered, his voice hoarse.

Her tiny eyes rested on the gun pointed at her, and her leathery lips slid back into a playful smile.

"Because you're scared of guns," Mommy matched the tone of Cole's voice as she suddenly slid her arm around Bella's waist.

Bella tensed and Cole's eyes flickered to Mommy's arm before he trained them back on the tall, lanky and terrifying sadist in front of him.

"You think I don't know?" Mommy continued, tilting her head to the side.

Cole adjusted the gun in his fingers, sweat dripping down his flushed face as he squinted his eyes shut. "Stop it," he said, his voice trembling.

"You think I don't know that you and your pathetic Wop parents were unwanted in your town? Those neighbourhood kids would torment you. I know how you got that hideous scar on your face."

Cole's eyes glistened, his teeth gnawing on his bottom lip as Mommy provoked him. "H-how do you know that?"

"...Those gunshots that would be fired at your house constantly..." Mommy continued. "The way your mother was treated whenever she walked past a group of men... the endless trouble your poor father faced, unable to speak any English..."

"Please stop," Cole begged, tears sliding down his sunken cheeks as his life continued to disintegrate.

Bella wondered what went though Mommy's mind, and she also wondered if Mommy knew this much about her life. Clearly, Mommy wasn't actually delusional to the point where she genuinely believed they were her children. But she did know everything about Cole, as if he was her child.

This woman was capable of way more than Bella could ever imagine.

Mommy's grin was horrifying, taunting, and it only grew wider as she knew her next few words would surely finish him.

"...Or how about the bullet that hit your little brother while you were supposed to be watching him?"

He broke.

"Cole..." Bella whispered, barely able to see past the tears in her eyes.

His heart shattered right before her as he slowly lowered the gun.

"Fuck you!" he cried out, his voice rocky and unsteady.

Mommy reached out and ripped the gun feverishly from his grip, but Cole allowed her to take it from him.

"I'm sorry, Bella," Cole said, his fingers trembling as he reached out to her. "I'm s-sorry that I c-couldn't do it."

Bella's eyes were wide as she watched him shake. He was weakened, absolutely deteriorated and Mommy ended him.

She couldn't even blame him.

With the gun now pointed at him, Mommy narrowed her beady eyes and before Bella knew it, Cole fell to the ground with a loud and pleading scream.