Chapter Three

Chapter Three

                “This would just fucking happen!” Adam shouted and kicked the tyre of his car in annoyance at his now broken down car, “we’re like a eight hours away and we break down; what the hell is this misfortune? We’re stuck in the middle of nowhere and the car freakin’ breaks down!”

                I watched him in amusement from the other side of the car. I didn’t know why he wouldn’t just fix it instead of throwing a tantrum, I mean, isn’t it like the law for a man to know how to fix a car? If I was a man, I would’ve definitely learnt how to fix a car, but I didn’t know, so it was no use. Adam looked like he was about punch a tree and send it flying for miles with the amount of anger coming from him, that’s why I wasn’t saying anything to him. Adam popped open the bonnet and I saw as black smoke came spewing out of it, which meant that the car was definitely going to take a few weeks to get fixed, if anyone did come along. It was true, we were in the middle of nowhere and it would be a miracle if anyone came and rescued us, especially since there was no signal.

                “Fuck!” he shouted loudly and stormed off into the forest.

                “Uh, Adam?” I called after him, “where are you going?”

                “To kill off some steam!” he shouted back, “stay here!”

                And, I did as he said. It was best that one of us stayed with the car rather than both of us go, especially since anyone could drive passed at any moment. Obviously, that wasn’t true and I found myself sitting in a broken car, which was steaming from the bonnet, eating a packet of chips whilst the silence surrounded me. I knew it was a bad idea to take the route, I’d suggested we take a completely different route which seemed safer and had a gas station along it, but he insisted that he went down the road hundreds of time and it was a much quicker. Much quicker meaning we would break down much more easily- idiot.

                It was getting dark by the time Adam returned and he shut the bonnet before climbing into the car. For a guy in a six year relationship, he seemed fine about walking around without a shirt on and he even had one on when he went into the forest. Adam mumbled something under his breath before looking at me in silence. I raised the potato chips up to him in offering, but he shook his head and slouched down in the seat.

                “Uh, Adam?”

                “What?”

                “What are you doing?”

                “Getting some sleep,” he answered and, with that, he was out like a light. I soon joined him in a slumber land, but it didn’t last for long as I woke up to the sound of a howl close by. Looking over at where Adam was, I noticed that the howl hadn’t fazed him and he slept straight through it. I hated being a light sleeper. The howl sounded again and I found myself shaking Adam awake, fearing the wolf would get us.

                “Huh... uh... what?” Adam sprang awake, looking around a little and then his eyes landed on me, “Coral?”